Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 29-04-2003 , 07:57 PM
Subscriber

Wacom tablet and maya

Hi All,

I'm at loss of words to praise this forum. Everyone is helpful and appreciative. Thanks to all. I have just bought a wacom 12" X 12" tablet complete with a 4 button lens cursor and a pressure sensitive pen. Now the question remains. Can anyone tell me how to configure the tablet for use in maya and also how the tablet itself should be used? I have seen people using image overlays with certain areas for normal mouse usage and certain areas configured more like shortcuts which you can click to do a specific action. Does anyone have an image overlay for maya which I can print out and use it in my wacom tablet.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You might wonder why I went and bought a tablet before knowing the full usage of it. Actually I was so "blindly" convinced it will be of great help.

Thanks again and regards

# 2 30-04-2003 , 07:19 PM
Well, i personally use my wacom for painting textures, 3D paint, paintFX, etc.

I don't use it much for modeling.

I know many others who cannot live whithout it, and some who don't use one at all.

It's personal preference I guess.

For the overlay stuff, check out the wacom instruction booklet, or cd, as they talk about how to configure your tablet to do some nifty things.

(I don't do the overlay, so I'm not much help there)

Welcome to SM by the way!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 30-04-2003 , 08:14 PM
Subscriber

I have to lose it

Hi ragecgi,

You are right. What I forgot to mention was this is not the latest Intuos series. I bought mine of ebay which was quite an old one and definitely not worth the money i paid for it. I thought it would be easier to model using a tablet rather than a simple mouse. After fumbling with it for a while and downloading the latest drivers I still found it hard to use. So I think I'm going to get rid of it. Thanks a lot.

Regards

# 4 30-04-2003 , 08:19 PM
The Maya Mountain
I would imagine tablets to be most effective for drawing-like purposes, such as textures and artisan.

I hope to get one, one of these days. user added image

# 5 03-05-2003 , 02:01 PM
Subscriber

For sale definitely

Hi mtmckinley,

I could sell it to you if you want it. Its a Wacom 12" by 12" with a pressure pen and a lens cursor all in excellent working condition. Its only that I dont know how to use it with maya and I felt that I have paid a lot of money for something that i'm not going to use. Its an SD-420E serial interface tablet. If you need it just offer me a price and if its agreeable I will send it to you. I hope you are in the UK?

Regards

# 6 03-05-2003 , 02:34 PM
The Maya Mountain
Sorry, I'm in the USA.

# 7 03-05-2003 , 05:44 PM
Subscriber

Whereabouts

Hi mtmckinley,

I could post it to the USA. I dont know how much they will charge me for posting it. In fact I would even bear the postage if you can pay any customs duties or charges that might arise. Do you have a price in mind.

Many Thanks

# 8 03-05-2003 , 05:45 PM
Subscriber

A small correction

The pressure pen is not configured correctly. I'm not able to make the pressure pen work for me. I'm absolutely new to this and I dont even know how to configure it. Thats how this thread started.

Just thought I should let you know this.

Thanks

# 9 03-05-2003 , 05:57 PM
Hello, Iamnovice

I would hold on to that tablet if I were you bud. I understand you haven´t found much utility to it -yet- but you surely will. Lot´s of concept art is done in such tablets, and all in all they are a good investment.

As per using the tablet in Maya you might be surprised to know that in AliasWavefront almost all their research is being done in areas of in-program-scultping and such. A small fact I noted was that in almost all the videos, the guys had a tablet in almost all the pcs, which would suggest they´re almost standard in their workflow.

Why don´t you give it a second thought after seeing the videos?
AliasWavefront Research

Regards,