Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 10-04-2003 , 04:26 PM
Subscriber

Achieving realistic building and interior scenes

Hello,

I've never modelled any realistic buildings nor interior scenes, but i want to try...
Does anyone have tips to achieve this quickly and annoyingless ?
Use nurbs or polys ...etc (any tip is welcome)

Thx

Today man, tomorrow bird...i already have the plumage
# 2 10-04-2003 , 05:11 PM
Subscriber
Sure, creating buildings and rooms is easy. Oh wait, did you say realistic buildings and rooms? In that case, no; there is no easy, fast way to do this. Maybe annoyingless if you're not trying to create complex objects, but it's deffinently time consuming usually. It really depends on what kind of room or what kind of building you want. For instance, I could do a simple side-street buliding that is basically a cube and make it look extremely real or I could take the Empire State Building and try to make it realistic, too.

Making things realistic in my opinion requires lots of things and objects in the scene to look at, well made textures, and most deffinently a good lighting set-up. You need shadows just as much as you need light. There needs to be some contrast. You need to look around your own room or an office buliding and see what things they have in their rooms and incorporate that stuff into your scene. Blank walls in a room don't help make it look realistic.

And if you're doing a bulding, use polys. Chairs, tables, and the like should be polygons as well. Use nurbs for more organic surfaces like a curved glass, vases, pots, and other curvey things. You can use Sub-divisions for numerous things as well, so don't forget them.

# 3 10-04-2003 , 09:14 PM
Another tip is to make sure nothing comes to a completely hard edge. Try to bevel all your corners at least a little bit. Use photo textures when you can.

# 4 11-04-2003 , 10:20 AM
Subscriber

# 5 11-04-2003 , 02:19 PM
That's a good choice for your first go at doing structures!

Normally, I get students who wanna to castles, and more organic-looking scenery, but you have kept it "down-to-earth" with something that I think will be VERY challenging, without being too harduser added image

Can't wait to see some WIP's!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 6 11-04-2003 , 03:16 PM
Subscriber
And another challenge is that i have no photos of the back so i have to imagine it all !

I think i have to figure out why was this plant concieved like this.

Well, let's say i start by a cube, would i have to texture each face separately...i know this question dumb...

thx

# 7 11-04-2003 , 10:52 PM
Subscriber
basically,, no matter how superb you model, if your rendering sucks, everything sux, i suggest b4 you get into modelling,, start with rendering, then afterwards, when you model, you will know how light reacts with this that ,, blah blah blah

now i use FinalGather (MentalRay)with almost every reallistic render i want render, well, there are some scenes which cannot be done with FG, and i will have to map out the lights and position em properly