Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 31-01-2010 , 08:12 AM

Selection and move tools acting differently than before

I am very new to Maya, so I would like to know about the settings which are causing some basic tools to act differently. These tools were acting fine at first, but then somehow their settings got changed, or something..

Problem 1: The move tool. I am creating the basic polygon space helmet in Maya's tutorial. When I try to move the vertices to fit the drawing, they move independently and create entire new polygons that stretch back to the ones they used to be connected with. I want them to stay connected. I have toggled the "Keep faces together" on and off, and the move tool acts the same regardless. If it helps any, the whole part that I'm working on was made and extruded from the Create Polygon Tool. Maybe I missed a step in making it like a normal polygon..?

Problem 2: The selection tool. I made a basic smoothed cube and needed to get rid of half of it. So I went to the top view, dragged a box around to select the left side for deletion, and it only selected the ones seen from the top view. Before when I had done this, it selected all faces on the left side (even the ones under the faces I had selected). Why the change?

I have a few other issues that I'm having trouble with, but these are two that I have tried at length to troubleshoot with no success.

Last edited by schiiism; 31-01-2010 at 08:16 AM.
# 2 31-01-2010 , 05:13 PM
Problem 1: As for your first question, Im not exactly sure whats going on, but the "keep faces together" tool only applies when your extruding the faces, it doesnt affect the move tool.

Problem 2: Window > Settings/Preferences > Preferences

Then under Polygons set Backface Culling to On.

Remember: you have to restart Maya or open a new scene for this to take effect.

# 3 31-01-2010 , 09:46 PM
Second problem solved. Thank you! user added image

As for the first, here's an image of the problem. I highlighted the unwanted faces that came up after I moved those top four vertices. See how it splits from the original faces and creates new vertices?

Also.. I can't get rid of those extraneous lines in the back of the shape. I highlighted them in pink. The rear faces have been deleted, but the thick vertical borders can't be deleted. Is there a reason for that?

Attached Images
# 4 01-02-2010 , 12:08 AM
EduSciVis-er
The vertices aren't being created when you use the move tool, they were there already, just hidden. You must have extruded something, or split some edge at some point. To get rid of those, use the merge vertex tool, or lassoo around them and use merge with a low tolerance. The thick edges are border edges, and can't be deleted easily. Should they be connected to something else? Hope that helps.

# 5 01-02-2010 , 03:28 AM
That makes sense. Thanks for the tips. user added image