Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 15-11-2011 , 06:17 AM

Separate Subdivs To Their Own Objects and Convert to Polygons

So after the great help I got with my last question. I thought I would ask another.

So I am creating polygons with a set number of subdivisions. For instance a window pane I created has 10 vertical and 10 horizontal subdivisions. Is there a way to convert each subdivision to it's own object? I've been splitting the faces, but they are still part of the originally created object. I want each subdiv to be it's own object. I've tried unGroup and unParenting them, but it doesn't do anything.

The end result is I want the glass to be a bunch of random shaped polygons that fit together to make a window pane. So that when I attach physics to the objects, they can be blown apart into little fragments.

Hopefully this all makes sense, and someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

-Cnotey.

# 2 15-11-2011 , 09:45 AM
The thin red line
I think what you are looking for is "shatter effect" its under dynamics, effects. I cannot tell you how to use its as I have never done one. .............dave

# 3 15-11-2011 , 10:07 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Select faces and go to mesh>extract

Jay

# 4 16-11-2011 , 08:05 AM
Once again Dave, you nailed it. I had to find a tutorial to get the work around for the scripting error that is apparently common in Maya. But the solid shatter effect with rigidbody worked like a charm.

Thanks again Dave.

If anyone else needs to know. You have to clear your object's history with the object applied to apply the solid shatter effect without getting the error.

Last edited by Cnotey; 16-11-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Added fix for script error