Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 29-09-2007 , 04:59 PM
Subscriber

What got you into 3d?

I'm just curious as to why everyone is here. For me, it was two things. I graduated college with a degree in Aeronautical Engineering and I became pretty good at SolidWorks (3D design application used mostly in engineering). I've used it nearly every day at work for the past two or so years. I've also been a HUGE fan of Star Wars since I was a little kid. So it would be nice to eventually transition into a company that provides animation, visual effects, etc.!

What about the rest of you?

-MiKE

# 2 29-09-2007 , 05:21 PM
Jr.Who

# 3 29-09-2007 , 08:06 PM
Subscriber
Lol Jimmy neutron!

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 4 29-09-2007 , 11:36 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
ahhh this has been asked before but a new one is always welcome.

Okay, first and foremost Star Wars (the original) I was there man! And I am lucky enough to say my Dad worked on the first three at Elstrre Studios in Borehamwood where some of it was filmed. I was very taken with visual effects from an early age but alas we couldnt afford the film schools by the time I was old enough. But some twist of fate has directed me to 3d...so now maybe I can get in to film or games at last! even at my age!

Jay

# 5 30-09-2007 , 04:51 AM
I'll have to say I started 3D graphics becuase of computer games and movies. Do you ever say to yourself 'I can do better' when playing a game and coming across a not so well done model?

I also started becuase of two things: I was looking through magazines at the newsagents and I saw the december 2004 issue of computer arts that had free but not so good 3D software on the cover disc. It was cheap and I was bored so I bought it went home and made a really dodgy looking temple, which was an idea I had for a long time for some story that evolved from day dreaming in some boring class.

After a while of not doing anything but moving cubes around, I was on the net typing in random stuff and I came across Ray Caesar's work which is probaly some of the most wonderfully strange things I've ever seen. And then I found out that he used Maya. Since I've done all that could be done with the free software I got Maya and since then I've been slowly learning how to use it.

Hope I didn't bore everyone user added image

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 6 30-09-2007 , 08:07 AM
Subscriber
I sort of just wandered into it and got hooked.

A few years ago I started playing with Photoshop which led me into making silly little animations using Image Ready.

In one of my photoshop magazines I was following an illustration tutorial which used poser and was intrigued by the 3D-ness of it all and wondered about the posibilities of making 3d animations at home. Next stop Maya and a degree in computer animation, who knows what will happen next!

Later,

Mat.