Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 10-03-2008 , 06:12 AM
Subscriber

How to rig a character that switches from bi to quadruped

Hi there,

We need to rig a squirrel that sometimes will be on all fours but at others will walk like a human. Is there a way of doing this without switching between two different versions of the character? Also, would it be possible to do this using TSM2 as this is what we usually use?

Thanks in advance
Simon

www.simontayloranimation.com
# 2 10-03-2008 , 11:30 AM
TSM2?

Got me ther mate....

I use MB for my animation, you could do it using that but other wise...

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 10-03-2008 , 01:37 PM
Senior Software Developer
Steve TSM2 = The Set Up Machine V2.0

Im not sure as TSM is just a rigging tool. TBH it would all depend on how yur rig is setup. Its feasable with just Maya Rigging and no other tools, just get the skinning and rig 100% and it should work.

Then its all down to the animation

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 10-03-2008 , 03:32 PM
i would be more rigging for a quad because when you think about a squirrel they are quadrepeds and you want that to come through in the character even when he is standing on his back legs. Then its just a matter of concentrating a bit harder on ur animation

# 5 10-03-2008 , 10:51 PM

Originally posted by R@nSiD
Steve TSM2 = The Set Up Machine V2.0

Haha, need to get out of my box!!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 11-03-2008 , 06:08 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I'm not that much of an animator but i quess you can make a biped walkcycle and a quadruped walkcycle and then in the trax editor blend between them.

And what i know of squirells is that they only stand on two legs when they are looking around once they start moving they go on back to quadruped -mode.

# 7 11-03-2008 , 01:22 PM
Senior Software Developer
You would have a walk cycle for quad and byped, yes, but you would then have to animate the getting up from 4 legs to 2 legs.

I cant see it being that difficult. Why not video yur self doing it and see how u get on, its a good start to watch yurself doing it first and then try to pass that into maya and animate it.

To get up you would need to anticipation of the upward movement by dipping slightly on the front legs and then showing a launching/pushing movement. Once thats done it will be how much pressure is placed on the muscles and spine to get it into a biped stance. then away you go...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)