Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 18-04-2013 , 12:57 PM
Subscriber

Final Gather vs mia_photometric_light (SOLVED)

Hy everyone,

I´ve got an issue using FG and mia_photometric_light. I have a simple scene: a room with some office furniture. The Physical Sun and Sky is turned on and mia_exposure_photographic is plugged on my camera. There are some portal lights at windows and some internal lights. I´m using Global Illumination and FG.

Without the internal lights, the FG quality is ok.
With internal light (point lights with mia_photometric_light and a IES file) the FG quality is ok.
With internal light (area lights with mia_photometric_light and a IES file) the FG quality is terrible!

Why use area lights? Because of the shadows. Point lights with IES, generates hard shadows. And the area lights, give more realistic soft shadows.

Anybody could help me to achive better FG quality with area lights + mia_photometric_light + IES file?

I´m using Maya 2013.

Thanks,

Leandro Oliveira
www.leandrooliveira.com

Last edited by LeandroOliveira; 22-04-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Problem solved
# 2 22-04-2013 , 02:15 AM
Super Moderator
What does it look like? Screenshots! user added image

- Genny
# 3 22-04-2013 , 03:32 PM
Subscriber
Hi Gen.

The problem was solved. I´ve turned on the Visibility attribute in the area light.

Thanks,

Leandro Oliveira
www.leandrooliveira.com