Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 03-08-2004 , 09:39 AM

to go to school, or not to go to school :S

I am in a cross-roads right now. I'm not really sure if i want to go to a post secondary school, or just learn my on my own. My mom (im only 18) was talking to someone at a party, and she was saying that going to some type of post secondary art school, that i might be disapointed with them. They are quite expensive here as well. I am looking at about 26, 000 for 1 year at vancouver film school, or about 26 000 for 2 year at Art intitute ( im kinda iffy about that school). I have heard really good things about VFS. Money isn't the biggest issue, but 26g's isn't exactly a small amount. Now, if i was to learn on my own, i would be using tutorials from here, maybe from alias, and maybe even digital-tutors.com (they have some good stuff there that easy to follow along). The downside i see is that i won't be able to talk with other people (peers in class/ teacher), and bouce ideas off them/ ask for help. Its not the same coming here (no offense). Also, i won't be creating the same network contacts working out of my room. But getting hired by a company, really, don't they just look at your skills, not what school u went too? Again, that lady that my mother was talking to, also said that some companies like to do inhouse training, due to the specialized programs that they used. Im not too sure on the reality of that one, maybe some of you industry guys can help me out on this. I would just like for you guys to give me some type of opinion.

ps. I would like to get into the video game industry, but maybe into the movie industry. I really just want to do something with 3d.

thx in advance guys : )

pps: If spelling is bad, its 2.30 here, and i am tired user added image

-- Why is it snowing rain --
AIM: SnowboarderCF
# 2 03-08-2004 , 09:44 AM
ps, i am taking a year off before i got to school, if i do end up going. Its just kinda troubling me now - i like to have things organized and have a plan to follow. The whole thing is kinda scaring me. I don't wanna becoming a bum - stuck in the job that i have now forever.. even though its a really good job ( i work at london drugs selling computers www.londondrugs.com for you non canadians)

# 3 03-08-2004 , 10:16 AM
I say go to school because:

A. At the end of it you have a piece of paper with your name on it user added image

B. It proves to an employer you can stick at something for a good number of years (read commitment)

C. It gives you motivation to finish your projects (look how many dont get finished on the boards cause of lack of motivation!)

D. Networking as your said

E. Industry people visit these schools and recruit directly from there (that's how I got my job)

F. Peer support and critiquing

G. Being stuck in a room by yourself doing maya tutes isnt the greatest fun in the world user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 03-08-2004 , 04:31 PM
I would vote for VFS. I would love to go there but that would be 26K american for me.

# 5 04-08-2004 , 04:01 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by RickStefani
I would vote for VFS. I would love to go there but that would be 26K american for me.

try 38k for Pratt in NY :bored: :bored: user added image
i'm suposed to attend this fall... but finances are kinda of iffy user added image

# 6 04-08-2004 , 04:07 AM
maybe i should see what i can do in a year or two.. and if im not good enough to get a job - go to vfs to boost my skills

# 7 04-08-2004 , 12:19 PM
The Maya Mountain
I've got a little article about this at my website. user added image

# 8 04-08-2004 , 07:55 PM
thx mike user added image

# 9 05-08-2004 , 03:01 PM
Subscriber
Pure -Morning, I rather like being stuck in a room with maya tutorials as a matter of fact. LOL

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 10 05-08-2004 , 08:24 PM

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

Last edited by doodle; 05-08-2004 at 09:06 PM.