Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 02-03-2005 , 06:17 AM
Subscriber

Construction history... what is it and how does it effect objects?

Hi there all,
after been working with NURBS for awhile and trying to learn patch modeling, I came accross a weird thing.

What I did is I have built a couple of ep curves and then broke the ep points appart so that it will make things easier when I biraled the surfaces. After the curves where broken appart, I started to use the birail 2 tool to make 4 point surfaces. Then after that, I rebuilt all of the patches and started attaching them one by one. Once I have attatched all of the surfaces together, I wanted to move the surface object in position of the location I wanted. However every time I try to move the surface in object mode, the cv's started going in there own direction they wanted to and distorted my object. First I was thinking maybe the surface needed to be rebuilt again, but this didn't fix the problem. Then on my last try I said to myself what if I decided to delete the history, and wouldn't you know it thats what was the problem.

Before this had happened the way I tried to understand what construction history was, it was so that you can see what you have done in the past as well as if you relize that you made a mistake, you can go back in the history and remodify the properites that you need to change without having to do multiple edit -> undo's. In addition, I also thought that the only reason why you want to delete the history is for memory purposes so that maya wouldn't bog down your system to a craw and possibly crash the program.

However after this incodent, this really threw me off, and I relize that I technically don' know truely what the construction history is for and how it works. So I am asking if any of you could explain the construction history in a more lamins terms and what could of cause this situation to happen? (or how Eddie Murphy would put it "in rich dummy terms" :p )
If it is something that can't be said in a few sentances then is there anywhere on the net that would describe this better? Cause the getting started book that comes with Maya doesn't explain this to well. All it says is in every tutorial that have looked at in the book says just to make sure that construction history is turned on and thats about all it says about the construction histroy.

Also to clarify my description better, here is an image of what happened after the surface was attached but did not delete the construction history.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-03-2005 , 03:38 PM
The surfaces got distorted when they were trying to stay stuck to the curves. If you delete the history, the surface will become independent from the curves. If you loft an object, and edit the CV's on the curve, they will change the lofted surface too. If you clear the history, it won't. user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
--Albert Einstein