Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 31-01-2010 , 02:39 PM

shadow through transparency map

hello everyone.

I have an issue here. one that i am sure someone from the friendliest and most helpful community on the net can help with.

this is just a representation of what is going on.

i am casting ray trace shadows (MR) on a object with mapped transparency. as you can see, even the transparent parts are casting slight shadow...

i have alpha as luminance checked... i cannot seem to resolve this.

does anyone here know how to fix this. i was able to change the light radius to distort this effect but i want harder shadows ...

how can i get around this?

thank you in advance.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by leotikansas; 31-01-2010 at 03:53 PM.
# 2 31-01-2010 , 06:19 PM
Technical Director
From what I can see here, it may be your cone angle on your light, or it could be that the transparency on your texture is not pure black and pure white.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 01-02-2010 , 02:59 AM
Super Moderator
If you're using an mia_mat then you could just drop the transparency texture into the cutout opacity slot in the advanced section, if you are using another shader then you can create an mib_shadow shader and plug that into the shadow shader slot of the material's shading group, then plug your transparency texture into "Transp" slot of the shadow shader.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 4 01-02-2010 , 06:18 AM
WOW!!!! gecT... spot on...

thanks alot