Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 22-01-2010 , 06:18 PM

Polygon Breaks When Smoothing

Hey guys. I haven't used maya for a really long time and I'm starting too get back into it by modeling simple objects. I was modeling a floppy disk and for some reason when I smooth it, a crease appears on one of the sections.

At first I thought I forgot to merge some vertexes but I checked and they were all connected. I don't know why it's doing this. There is something funny with one of the normals but I don't know if that's a problem or not.
Here are some pics:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 2 22-01-2010 , 06:26 PM
I've been gone too long... :p
user added image

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

# 3 22-01-2010 , 08:27 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by AnthonyCg
I've been gone too long... :p
user added image

looks like the normals might be facing the wrong way, reverse them,

# 4 23-01-2010 , 03:39 AM
Technical Director
Merge your vertices with a distance of 0.0001. It seems you have vertices on top of each other.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 28-01-2010 , 05:34 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I'll give it a shot.