Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-07-2014 , 06:28 PM
Trying

HDRI with Mirror Ball

Has anyone here used the mirror ball method for producing HDRI maps?

I want to start creating my own for CG integration with live footage, and after doing some research, while other methods (such as with a fish-eye lens to get a panoramic image) would produce better results, they are often more costly and time consuming. For budget and time purposes, and the fact that it'd be slightly easier to hide things/get away with imperfections in video, I think the mirror ball method would be a good place for me to at least start.

If anyone has experience with this, do you have any recommendations on a good, quality sphere to buy? Looking around, I have seen people recommend garden gazing balls.

This one seems to be mentioned sometimes, but the reviews are mixed: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Looking around, I found something like for this for example: https://www.mainstreetseedandsupply.c...m?1=1&CartID=1
Though there are no reviews/references to it relating to photography.

# 2 29-07-2014 , 07:09 AM
The Nurb Herd
What would be your method be for making an HDRI with a chrome ball? I've only done it with a fish-eye lens.

# 3 29-07-2014 , 10:58 AM
# 4 29-07-2014 , 07:45 PM
The Nurb Herd
Personally I'd go for the normal method (equipment permitting). If you are just shooting one chrome ball, you will have a reflection of yourself. Not a big deal true, but also that page even mentioned that you get low quality images. Also, it didn't mention anything about bracketing. :\
I've only shot one HDRI on set, but made loads of them. We generally only use a chrome ball for reflection reference.

# 5 29-07-2014 , 11:38 PM
Trying
Yeah, the chrome ball method would be just moreso for money and time purposes. At least for when I am doing it personally.

Of course for larger projects, if the time and equipment are available, I'd try for the best results, though for now I don't have experience with this so I figure it won't hurt to start with this method.

Would you happen to know maybe like what chrome ball you have available, brand, or whatever?

# 6 30-07-2014 , 08:32 PM
The Nurb Herd
sorry, I don't know. Why not start with a Christmas bauble, super cheap! user added image

# 7 30-07-2014 , 11:15 PM
Trying
Ha, I considered that. I researched like all the cheap/DIY ways to get a good mirror ball, but I figured, if I'm going the cheap route, might as well get the best of the cheap xD

I guess I will be going with the first one I linked, it's the only consistently used one I've seen online from people. Hopefully it's good.

Thanks for the replies!