Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 28-08-2014 , 11:41 AM

How to "morph" Materials

Hi Folks,

does anybody know how to achieve a kind of "morph-effect" from e.g. stone to ice?

I´ve added two pictures - one from the witcher 2 intro by platige image - and the other from a advertisement by mpc - to visualise what I´m talking about :-D

trying to work this out for a free project - just wondering if there is a kind of built in process in maya to "morph" materials + models or something like that or if it´s better done in post

user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 29-08-2014 , 10:31 PM
Super Moderator
I've never attempted this but it does seem like you can pull this off with two shaders with animated textures plugged into some kind of layering or blending node (layered shader/mib_color_mix/mix8/mila_material/blend colors/whatever pick your poison) and have another animated texture drive the weight.

- Genny
# 3 02-09-2014 , 09:37 PM
The Nurb Herd
I would imagine it was rendered twice and the transition was done in nuke. I guess there would have been a few IDs for the transition effects. The ice formation would have been dynamics and a separate pass.

I didn't work on the chewing gum thing, but we did similar transition type effect on Xmen.

# 4 13-09-2014 , 09:30 AM
Yes, I think you are right the magic with this kind of effect happens in post with different passes ... need to test this :-)