Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 12-11-2015 , 03:06 PM

Help wanted

I'm doing an assignment and I have to apply textures (procedurally) to the attached model and I'm struggling with what all of the above.

Anybody have any ideas?

It is meant to be a mechanical plant, so metal, rusty copper etc. I just don't know how to do them.

Much appreciated,
sbsips

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 13-11-2015 , 08:16 AM
Subscriber
I would not go with procedural textures, would go the "normal" way:

1. Search in the internet for pictures which are fitting to the material you desire (rusty metal)
2. Store them in a folder you find back, while using Maya
3. Structure your Model so that you can use different textures for different Model elements
4.Apply materials to the different elements
5. In the color node of the material you click on the right checkered box, this opens a new menu, where you can choose textures. Click on "File" and the choose the picture file you have downloaded for this purpose
6. All elements of this model with this material shall appear now with the "file-texture" on it

Repeat this for other elements with other materials and texture files.

Hope it helped.

Check out also you tube tutorials - you find tons of it!!!user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 15-11-2015 , 04:04 PM
Hey husbyhogan,

Thank you for the reply, will have a look into it and try it out!

Much appreciated!
sbsips

# 4 15-11-2015 , 10:53 PM
Super Moderator
Are you required to texture the object procedurally for the assignment?

- Genny
# 5 16-11-2015 , 11:35 AM
Subscriber
Please let us know your next steps ;-)

# 6 16-11-2015 , 11:38 AM
Hello Genny,

One section of the document brief reads:

"Create a piece that is complex enough to allow a variety of materials to be produced.
For example, if your piece is supposed to be textured with a single copper material, it
will not be suitable. There needs to be scope to develop a variety of realistic materials.
Although you are welcome to use texturing techniques you have learned in previous
modules, you should also demonstrate your ability to create believable materials proce-
durally when necessary. Not only is there merits in doing so for educational purposes,
but procedural techniques may also allow you to save time on photograph processing
and painting"

Cheers,
sbsips

# 7 18-11-2015 , 12:10 AM
Super Moderator
"Metal" is pretty vague, it could mean everything from oil rubbed bronze to brushed steel to 22 karat yellow gold leaf and even rusted copper. It seems that your instructor wants you to demonstrate knowledge of both procedural and bitmap texturing. Variety seems to be preferred so I hope all metals wouldn't pose a problem.

Maybe model a few leaves and a flower pot. They could provide an opportunity to create different materials and help get convey it is a flower. I don't know how familiar you are with common material properties like color/reflectivity/bump etc or lighting in general (the two go hand in hand), if you're not, explaining them will make this reply into a mini novel. Lots of free tuts around to get you started so we could have something to go on. As a general rule, shiny metals have dark color/diffuse values and the reflection color is what would make bronze look different than say chrome. Also, look at references and do it often.

- Genny

Last edited by Gen; 18-11-2015 at 12:20 AM.
# 8 19-11-2015 , 03:38 PM
Hey,

Unfortunately I don't have time to re-model anything as the assignment is due shortly. Just now my idea is to (try) create the following:

Stem of the flower: Copper
Cap attached to the stem: Silver
Coggs: Rusted material
Flowers: Shiny Black

What do you think?

sbsips