Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 06-02-2007 , 09:44 AM

newbie question 2

Firstly i must say i am impressed at the rate of replies of this forum, my questions are answered almost immdiately. Thks for helping the new pple like me in using maya

heres my question : say i finish my building a model , then i go to hypershade and add external images to my model. so for example i get the image from c:\documents...

when i save it as a new project, using all the defaults settings, many folders like sounds , images and source images are created.

i then copy my images file to the source image folder.

do i need to change the location at the hypershader? my project file is in my thumbdrive g: , but when i use different computers it doesnt recall my image accordingly.

during my submission next week , i have to upload to my teachers computer , the destination of my images will be all different, thus it wont display the desired images

pls advise on this

thks in advance!

# 2 06-02-2007 , 09:59 AM
If you save them in the source images folder thats on your pen drive and it works fine on your PC (Viea the pen drive ) then you only have to plug it into your tutoris PC.

If you change the drive then you will have to reload the texture files as I think maya uses the full extension C:\My Documents\Maya\Project...... and keeps it so you would have to reload the files to get it to work.

Dont think theres and easy way round it to be honest, you could probably write a mel script but I'm not too good on MEL.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 06-02-2007 , 02:49 PM
Senior Software Developer
As Gster said. If you create your shader using file textures, then move your file textures, you wiill have to move the path in hypershade also for each shader.

My tip would be to get your texture files into the sourceimages folder asap as this is the default place maya looks for all file/psd file textures for each project.

MEL could fix this for you but would require yor input for the from and to path changes (in the idea I would have to create one), so you may as well just dump them in their first.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)