Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 31 15-02-2007 , 09:53 AM
The couch actually has a pretty saturated color as you can see on the photo. Maybe I'll tone it down a notch.

Sure I can post some wires, but I reckon you want to see the unsmoothed objects, and there's a hell lot of objects to unsmooth.... I'll see if I have the strength to do it user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 32 15-02-2007 , 10:45 AM
Ok, here's an unsmoothed wire, approx. the same camera angle as the render.

Attached Thumbnails
# 33 15-02-2007 , 10:48 AM
Hey DJ looks great, cheers fo the wires, did you use a smooth proxt ro see the updates on the sofa?

Like the way you've got the creases (need them for my challenge model and was looking for some examples).

Good work on the materials and the renders, are you making the materials using maya of maxwell? (P.S I havent a clue about the workflow of maxwell just thet it has some materials on the website)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 34 15-02-2007 , 11:35 AM
No, didn't use a smooth proxy, haven't bothered to learn how to use it exactly, and setup my buttons/shortcuts etc.

Ok, haven't looked at the challenge this month. What's it about, and what are you making?

There's a plugin to Maya to get Maxwell fully integrated, as you can see from the pic. So I create them in Maya. There's also a separate material editor application that can be used if one wants to.

Attached Thumbnails
# 35 15-02-2007 , 11:54 AM
oh yeah - wow - that is pretty blue! Cheers for posting the wires - always good to see the base mesh.

I noticed a dirty plate of spaghetti, or something else tasty, in your photograph. It might be good to add a few similar objects to clutter up and dirty your scene to save it from looking so computer clean. Really loving some of your renders though.

# 36 15-02-2007 , 01:26 PM
Yeah, it's pretty clean, but I hade in mind adding some more small stuff. Like for example these papers and a magazine. Got some weird shadow on the papers though, think it's my geometry that's a bit bad. Just a very quick render this time.

Attached Thumbnails
# 37 15-02-2007 , 01:50 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by DJbLAZER
Just a very quick render this time.

i bet that quick render took a couple of days. lol

looks nice tho. a bit grainy.

# 38 15-02-2007 , 04:37 PM
LOL vlad to the rescue!

(i have nothing against the third party renderers, but if after hearing that over 20 people have asked 'why use it if it takes so long to render?' why don't the proponents of the renderers create a thread in one of the forums describing options or ease of use or the like to offer counter-arguments? (i'd rather become familiar with the options of the maya software or mental ray renderers and change options around than wait for a 4+ hour render to show off something that can be just as good if you took the time to learn what mental ray has to offer and you become proficient at it)

oh by the way, the wire looks great. it's too bad that from the render the subtleties of the couch wrinkles and such don't show too that well. you have obviously put a lot of time and thought into your modeling and texturing.

Accept no substitutions.
# 39 15-02-2007 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
Lol nice... love the room ... Just wondering how much ram do you have?

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 40 15-02-2007 , 07:05 PM
Subscriber
thats really incredible !

take it easy and life will be easy
# 41 15-02-2007 , 10:39 PM
vlad, lol. Actually something around 45 minutes. That's why it's grainy too.

starjsjswars, I got 1.5 GB ram.

NeoStrider, yeah I know some of the wrinkles doesn't show that good, but it depends what kind of lighting there is, just like in real life.

# 42 16-02-2007 , 02:20 AM

Originally posted by Jay
DJBlazer

Dude it looks good, but again (yawn) 60hrs for this is a joke, its not like you are rendering fur, hair, Ents or Gollum, some tweaks I feel, or just use MR if you want good Photorealistic renders

Good work though

Jay

Gollum is fighting an army of light saber wielding ents behind the sofa.

# 43 16-02-2007 , 03:17 AM
LOL! Exactly! I 'll show you the render from behind the sofa next time. (or not :bandit: )

# 44 16-02-2007 , 07:07 AM
ROFL fantastic.

Accept no substitutions.
# 45 16-02-2007 , 10:27 PM
Subscriber
wow worth 60hrs though, my computer would have overheated and melted :p

looking great djblazer, very realistic... love the phome hand user added image