Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 03-11-2011 , 10:35 AM

Importing Issues

Hello all I have an issue with importing files.

I can import some obj's and FBX etc then others I can't.
I've checked all the import options and plugins and still no luck.

I think it maybe a re-install, anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

Lee Perkins
Forsaken Studios
Art Director

www.embersofcaerus.com - www.forsakenstudios.com
# 2 03-11-2011 , 01:12 PM
Subscriber
Hey.
If you ve another installed 3D app, try import the unworkable files there....
You can see which is working or not, or try to convert them there.

I bet a reinstall wont solve the problem..

# 3 03-11-2011 , 01:13 PM
I find Maya to sometimes be very finicky about importing files. Unless you had a file that you could once import and now cannot I would hold off on re-installing.

What I would suggest is first see if you can import the file into softimage (since it is bundled with maya now) and then if it imports into SI then use the new file sharing ability to open it up in maya.

It is funny alias created the obj format and they also created Maya, yet Maya is the most finicky about reading obj files. Many times I can opena obj in a half dozen application but Maya will puke on the file.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 4 03-11-2011 , 01:15 PM
haha looks like joy was responding the same time as me.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 03-11-2011 , 01:17 PM
Subscriber
yeah user added image I fortunately never had obj import problem.

# 6 03-11-2011 , 01:54 PM
I help someone that does a lot of importing from other packages and he is always having problems but that is likely to the fact that he is getting them for a particular package that is not following the standard maya requires but other packages seem to tolerate. That is why I suggested trying SI.

# 7 03-11-2011 , 03:11 PM
Thanks guys, found importing into C4D and then exporting as a collada works fine, its a pain though as I have 100's of models to do that to *crys*

Anyway thanks again

Lee Perkins
Forsaken Studios
Art Director

www.embersofcaerus.com - www.forsakenstudios.com
# 8 03-11-2011 , 05:17 PM
Yep importing to softimage you can export directly to maya (I believe this option has been available since 2011). You open both maya and softimage then import to softimage and then export directly to maya using "file>send to maya"