Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 04-10-2011 , 07:36 AM
Subscriber

Displacement map question

Hello everyone,

I was playing with Mudbox a bit to make sculpted hair for my human male/COH character. I've sculpted the mesh and managed to make a normal map and a displacement map. I've managed to get the normal map to work but for some reason when I use a displacement map it increaces the size of the hair mesh. I've included a picture below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I'm using two different phongs to experiment between normal mapping and displacement mapping. I'm not trying to use both maps on the same shader.

Attached Thumbnails

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 2 06-10-2011 , 03:19 AM
Super Moderator
Hmm maybe you can lower the alpha offset on the file node and bump up the alpha gain to compensate.

- Genny
# 3 06-10-2011 , 06:16 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the tip GecT! That worked out great! I did a little extra research to help me understand why it was doing that. Apparently Mudbox makes its base color for no displacement as 50% Grey where Maya wants it black.

Thanks again!

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 4 14-02-2013 , 06:31 PM
Yeah, you have to be a little careful when porting maps between programs. I believe mudbox does that to give relative displacement in both directions. The typical issue that happens when you say black is 0 displacement is that you can only displace parallel to the normal (up or out), using 50% gray gives you the ability to displace either way (though you have to play with the settings in maya).