Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 26-01-2007 , 04:58 PM

How to make ??

How i can make millitary net with spikes ... like those which was used lets say for defence from soldiers in second world war ... or smth .. ? user added image

# 2 26-01-2007 , 05:11 PM
Could you post a picture?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 26-01-2007 , 05:25 PM
user added image

this in the bottom of the picture ... user added image

# 4 26-01-2007 , 08:54 PM
Subscriber
barbed wire you mean?

# 5 26-01-2007 , 09:39 PM
Subscriber
Well, the way I'd go about it would be to firstly model the barbs using a poly helix. After I'd done that, I'd draw a curve that was going to be the coil of wire that the barbs are all stuck on. When I was happy with the shape that it took, I'd use the AttachToMotionPath command. If I hit play at this point, the barbs would appear to wind their way along the coil of wire. From there, you'd do an animation snapshot - setting it to take a 'snapshot' every so often, spacing the barbs out at pleasing intervals. Then, (finally) I'd make a circle and extrude that along the big coil, giving you the bit of wire that all the barbs are attached to.

Each barb is really just two coils, each ending with a straight bit that's sharp on the end. The gap between each turn of the helix is the same as the thickness of the wire. So, I'd make a helix that rotated 360+180 = 540degrees. Then I'd extrude the two faces on the ends, to give the the straight bits that stick out and jab you. After I was happy with that, I'd duplicate it and rotate by 180 degree and Presto! There you have 1 barb. (that needs a little tweaking, to make it sharp and not so perfect looking)

As for the big coil of wire that all the barbs sit on, I'd use the cv curve tool to draw the shape I wanted - I'd just draw a straight line with a vertex every grid line at least 13 times. Moving the right ones up, down left or right will give you a helix.

From there it's just a matter of adjusting the orientation of the two, so that when you AttachToMotion path, the barbs wind their way around the coil, keeping the hole in the middle of the barbs pointing in the same direction as the path curve.

Do an animation snapshot, and that's all the tricky stuff done. You'll now have a whole bunch of barbs that are floating in mid-air just waiting to have the wire pass through the middle of them.

Draw your circle, then extrude along the path curve..

S.

Something like this below.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 26-01-2007 , 09:49 PM
Subscriber
great explanation simon...

by the way, i dont think they the army etc use barbed wire, they use razor wire which is 100x sharper. ived fell into barbed wire when i fell off a bike and its not a great site =\ luckily all my cuts have healed and you cannot notice it user added image

what is it with us? we always stay up late lol... :p

# 7 26-01-2007 , 10:59 PM
10x a lot i will try to do this user added image))

# 8 26-01-2007 , 11:30 PM
Well i made the barb .. but can't understand the thing with the motion path ... i attach the Barb to motion path and it just animating and move over it ... can u explane more detail just that part ... coz im noob user added image about 1 - 2 months maya .. user added image

- >user added image

# 9 26-01-2007 , 11:54 PM
Subscriber
Alrighty then, looking good. It's a bit big in the middle, but not as bad as my first 6 goes :p

I've since found a way you might find easier than the animated snapshot.

Just go through the time-line frame by frame.
When it's at a position you like, hit Shift-D to duplicate it
From there, just keep stepping through and duplicating it each time it's in a position you like.

The advantage of doing it this way is that you can rotate the barb around its LOCAL y axis before you do each duplication to give it a bit more variety. Trying to rotate the parts after they've been put in place can prove to be a bit of a nightmare.

However, to answer your question.

*)Set the time back to 0
*)Select your barb, Open up the Animate->CreateAnimationSnapshot option box
*) Set the Time Range to "Time Slider"

Now, if your time range was set to 24 when you created the motion path, it will take 24 frames to go from one end of the path to the other, right?

So, each frame it will move 1/24th of the way along the path. The option called INCREMENT allows you to specify that a copy will be created every so many frames. If you set this to 1, there will be a new barb created at the same spot the barb is in, EVERY one of those 24 frames.

If you set this to 2, then a copy will be made only every second frame, to 3 every 3rd frame and so on.

To be honest, it had a bit of a bugger of a time remembering how to use the tool (dunno why - it's easy when you've got it) The option I mentioned first, while taking longer, gives you much better controll over spacing and orientation.

If you find that the step between each frame is too large, then just go back to the part where you AttachToMotionPath bit and set the number of frames in your time line to be bigger. i.e Bigger number of frames to get from one end to the other, smaller step per frame.

Hope this helps you get there ColdWave.

Simon.

# 10 27-01-2007 , 12:00 AM
Subscriber
Just re-read your post, now I'm not so sure where you're getting stuck.

So here-you-go, here's the tute that I learned MotionPath and Animated Snapshot tricks from. Dunno where I got the tute from, so here's the whole thing.

Simon.

Attached Files
File Type: zip domino_files.zip (213.0 KB, 126 views)
# 11 27-01-2007 , 12:32 AM
Yeah i figure it out .. but yes 10x a lot for your help im making millitary scean now ... and soon when i fisnish all the models i will post a screen of how will my scean look 10x for the help and 10x again user added image you help me a lot man ... i really :bow:

ColdWaVEee

# 12 27-01-2007 , 12:34 AM
And ... now comes the question how to make bags with sand ??? sry for mass posting question but i really don't know any good technique of making bags .. or smooth oval shapes user added image

user added image

# 13 27-01-2007 , 01:04 AM
Subscriber
What?
So you can do something like this with 'em?

Attached Images
# 14 27-01-2007 , 01:08 AM
Well i want to ocupate the bunker that i made .. but i know i can make cube and texture it ... but it wont stay natural ... i just want to make one sand bag and duplicate it and spred it around the bunker ( it's war ... ) And .. this bags can help me to make defencive line in which mans with guns ... can open fire and cover by the bags .. and when a bullet hit ones bag to move or smth like that user added image thats why i must make a bag ... so if u can help me ...:bow: i will be glad

# 15 27-01-2007 , 01:10 AM
Subscriber
I just created a nurbs circle, squashed it a bit made a couple of copies (3 copies, 4 in total) then selected them in order, from one end of the bag to the other. Then do a loft and you've got a bag withgout the ends, and without bumps and lumps.

Convert to polygons, adjust vertices to add some lumps and bumps, do a polygon smooth operation and adjust further to taste.

It's a very crappy job, I know but just make something - even a cube, about the right shape then add detail using split polygon tool and pushing and pulling verts from there.

It probaby took longer to set-up the wall than it took to make the first bag. Getting a shader that didn't look totally rubish took longer.

I dunno, make a cube with say 8 or 10 divisions in every direction, squash it flat then go from there. You'll be done in no time. It'll make the barbed wired modelling job look like torture.

S.