Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 03-03-2008 , 10:49 AM
Subscriber

deformining particles into a sphere

Dear friends:
I have a set of particles in a particular array (these were produced after transforming point objects into particles - the particle distribution represents a 2-D array of atoms). Now, I need to "wrap" them into a sphere - something like a 2-D hexagonal grid-like honey bee array- to be wrapped into a sphere shape.
I tried playing with the deformers, but they deform the array unevenly and can't make them into a sphere. I tried the Create deformer and Use secondary NURBS or Polygon Object Sculpt tool option, but can't make it work.

PLease help!

JC

# 2 03-03-2008 , 10:12 PM
Subscriber
Have you tried applying a lattice to the particles? If I understand what your after then something like this would work by shaping the lattice.

Chris

# 3 03-03-2008 , 10:24 PM
Have you thought about using an actual sphere as a goal object?

You can assign an object/shape etc. as a "goal" for your particles to get to over time or with the aid of fields, etc.

So say you have an onmi emitter shat shoots-off 100 particles.
You can assign goal shape for them to form into after a certain amount of time has passed.

Check the help for details on using goals with your particle shapesuser added image

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 04-03-2008 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber

Lattice struggle

I am trying to use the lattice deformer, and I am able to put a lattice around the particles. However, I don't find the handler or how to bend the lattice into the sphere.

Please help this newbie.

Thanks!

# 5 04-03-2008 , 01:39 AM
Subscriber
You should be able to RMB over the lattice and then select 'lattice points' and from there you can select them like vertices on geometry.

You can then set keys to change the form of the lattice over time to shape your particles.

Chris

# 6 04-03-2008 , 05:36 PM
Rage is right, a Sphere as a goal should work for you.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle