Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 26-02-2003 , 05:45 AM

Portfolio Help

I have aplied to Rhode Island School of Design for Film/Video/Animation and i am now working on my portfolio. I have till March 31. (I know, i'm a little behind.)

I have lots of old drawings and need to make them into slides. I have been taking pictures of them and they haven't been coming out very well. i'm using a fully automatic camera and just can't seem to get it right.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to properly take pictures of pencil drawings?

Also, I haven't drawn in two years, because i have been out of school. And now i'm stuggling to do three drawings: a bicyle, interior or exterior, and something else of my choice. So I figure I have a couple weeks to get those finished.

If anyone has any intersesting pictures of a bicycle, I would like to see them. Maybe I could draw something more interesting than what I already have, and possibly better.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give. And any help on how to make my portfolio nice would greatly appreciated.

Thanks. user added image

- Matt

Last edited by mshoward82; 27-02-2003 at 07:21 PM.
# 2 26-02-2003 , 06:22 AM
Subscriber
I would say find a really good scanner, and scan in greyscale / RGB color. Digital cameras may take great pictures of every day stuff, just not drawings.. well to the reach of my knowledge that is. I always scan, and it comes out wonderful, just scan at a super high res setting, then scale it down with a image editing program. Hope this helped user added image, and good luck with your course/courses user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 3 27-02-2003 , 07:21 PM
Its hard to scan a drawing that 40 inches by 30 inches. So I think the scanner is out.

Also, I'm not using a digital camera. I'm using good 'ol film processing.

- Matt
# 4 12-03-2003 , 06:02 PM
I´d scan them part by part, I used to do it when I was still in my first stages of my career. As of now, I only work at the computer.

# 5 12-03-2003 , 08:07 PM
i doubt you would need to use this one.. but its a picture of my freshly 'chromeillusion' painted frame... although i dont have it anymore (cracked it at the head tube)

i used to have so many more pictures, but i think i deleted them for some reason..

# 6 12-03-2003 , 09:22 PM
thx dbrider. user added image

but, i just used the image i already had. Came out alright.

hey adldesigner, does it come out looking ok when you put the scans together?

- Matt
# 7 12-03-2003 , 09:59 PM
I scaned in a massive canvas once. Just scan each part, overlap the edges and in PS put them together user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 8 12-03-2003 , 10:56 PM
Yeap, if you use the same settings, some tweaks here and there, and you´re done. High resolution imagery at whatever the size.

# 9 13-03-2003 , 07:17 AM
Subscriber
I think what was missed was that he needs to make slides for this. Printing on to film is very harsh on the wallet.

First you should probly call around and rent a good SLR from a photo place.

But one thing that will help. Light the hell out of it so the flash dosn't go off. Also put the brightest light you got at a 45 degree angle from the papers. This will light most even and will not have a glare. Usefull for glass also.

Also if you get a SLR take the pick from fare away and use a 300mm lense to zoom it in to frame. this will lesson optical distortions of the fore shortining type..

Just a cuple of sujestions.