Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 61 21-02-2007 , 08:36 AM
Great work DJ.

The floor's texture looks a bit pixelated, but as its going to be in the distance for your renders it wont make a difference.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 62 21-02-2007 , 09:17 AM
Yeah, I know. I would need a image with huuuuge resolution if it should look good in such close-ups and doesn't look too repetetive from a distance. But the image I'm using is only around 800x600, I'll see if I can find a higher rez image similar looking.

# 63 21-02-2007 , 09:05 PM
That's phenomenal! We were talking about this sort of thing earlier; most art now-a-days is done after everyday items that everyone takes for granted. This scene just happens to be a mix of everything that the average American takes for granted daily.

Sweet work!

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 64 24-02-2007 , 06:57 AM
Here's a board game I stash under the coffee table.

Attached Thumbnails
# 65 24-02-2007 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
i took up maya so i could make images i couldn't take with my camera.., i cant see the point in this style except to say 'look what i can do' well, i can do the same in 1/250 sec with my camera and don't have to wait 40 hours for a noisy image.

the work is TRULY incredible but i see no point. i (me) took up maya to great other worldly images and things too use in film that is too expensive to hire or too dangerous to do, example.., blowing up a city.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 66 24-02-2007 , 06:15 PM
Well,
Mirek,
this is just my thoughts, but every 3D artists goal is to be able to simulate reality, Even if it is other-worldly. I love this project and would like to say that DJblazer is amazing

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 67 24-02-2007 , 07:08 PM
wow is that a drinking-game version of parcheesi?

Accept no substitutions.
# 68 24-02-2007 , 10:41 PM
Mirek: So what you're saying is that one should only use Maya to model things that can't be taken with a camera? Say that to all the people on this forum modeling cars, electrical devices, humans etc.

The thing is that once you modelled something, you can do whatever you want with it. For example I can now blow up my room in Maya, you can't do that with a camera just as easy.

thanks Joopson

NeoStrider: yes, it's called "Fia" in swedish, didn't know the name parcheesi, but now I know =)

# 69 25-02-2007 , 12:04 AM
For me the work of great CG is making it look like it isnt CG (if you know what I mean, not cartoon characters/animations and the like as thats a completly different ball game).

For me the point of doing something like this would be to better understand the nuances of materials, lighting and rendering to create a very realistic scene that looks like its been taken with a camera, your right, why spend all this time modeling, texturing and rendering when you can just get a camera out and shoot it, but wheres the fun and achivement in that?

In a real world application doing something like this would be great for marketing a new product thats still in the design phase, for promotion etc where the design may change quite a bit, think cars etc.

The processes Dj is showing can then be taken into otherworldly type stuff, using the techniques used in this project. I think that most people start off modeling somethinig thats actually there to get the skills required, then it makes creating images for film etc a lot easier to do as you can then concentrate on creating SFX using the models, with a lot less messing with materials and lighting.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 70 25-02-2007 , 12:23 AM
Word!

# 71 25-02-2007 , 05:37 AM
Subscriber
It looks greate and if that is your livingroom you got a nice looking living room. I think the seat is the best. It looks like some kind of silk.

Don't be afraid of what you can see, but be afraid of what you cant see.
# 72 25-02-2007 , 11:20 AM
Subscriber
Wow this looks awesom, I hope to achieve great effects like this someday with Maya.

# 73 25-02-2007 , 11:26 AM
Subscriber
not saying anything except, cant see the piont , I did say it is a great piece of work and expressed my opionion.., is iy all wow and thats great.., ??? thats not constructive crit..,I dont have to agree with you all (though I do) , it is interesting the answers to the post though.

Gster came up with something interesting in particular, non- defensive.

anyway, yes, great living room, excellant modelling (did i already say that??)

i thought maya was for animation and SPX, ect and cameras were for to capture 'real life.' thats what we use them for at film school!, guess Im (and everyone else at uni) is wrong!?

user added image

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 25-02-2007 at 11:29 AM.
# 74 25-02-2007 , 04:09 PM
Subscriber
Wow Great job, it all looks really realistic. if you add the game to your scence, you should fill up the shot glasses, and have the pieces moved on the board. keep up the good work.

Do what you like, like what you do.
# 75 25-02-2007 , 04:32 PM
Subscriber
question
When doing a scene like this do you put everything in its own layer and just hide things while working on another piece? Does this help keep maya from lagging if this is what you do?
If now do you do everything in it own and then import it into one scene when you make what you're modeling? If so, how do you import that model in?
Obviously I'm still pretty new to maya