Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 21-01-2013 , 03:28 PM
Subscriber

Modeling in Maya and texturing in Mudbox?

All,

I'm wondering if somebody of you is modeling in Maya and then texturing in Mudbox.

I'm modeling an old treasure chest and I saw a similar project. The guy was then exporting the mesh in ZBrush and texturing it.
As I have a Mudbox license I'm wondering if this would make sense to work in that manner. I'm modeling for a game a lot of tractors, trailers, seeding machines and of course buildings. This all not on a cartoon manner but realistic. To mention that this should be low poly as usual user added image

Is there a workflow how to work between Maya and Mudbox? Any examples I can follow?

Many thanks in advance.

# 2 21-01-2013 , 03:50 PM
The thin red line
I think mudbox is better at texturing then zbrush but that just might be me, I also use photoshop but you could just use mudbox. My work flow would be model the base mesh and UV in maya then send to mud, sub divide to the level you need then its a case of using projections and paint to get a texture(this is were I use photoshop to clean up the texture) and normal map that you can export to maya................dave

# 3 21-01-2013 , 04:04 PM
Subscriber
@dverave,

I think mudbox is better at texturing then zbrush but that just might be me, I also use photoshop but you could just use mudbox. My work flow would be model the base mesh and UV in maya then send to mud, sub divide to the level you need then its a case of using projections and paint to get a texture(this is were I use photoshop to clean up the texture) and normal map that you can export to maya................dave

Thank you so much for your quick answer!

You can imagine that I have already tried more or less exactly that what you have suggested with a simple wood plank before I have opened this thread. user added image Unfortunately after have aged the plank in Mudbox, painted some wood structures on the plank and sent to Maya (exporting in FBX did the same) I received just back the mesh with a dark texture and no structures. The shader is available in the Hypershade.....

That's why I was asking for a work-flow or somebody who can teach me how to proceed.

# 4 21-01-2013 , 04:35 PM
The thin red line
I just export the texture back to maya not the model, you have to create a normal map in mudbox then export back to maya................dave

Last edited by daverave; 21-01-2013 at 04:37 PM.
# 5 21-01-2013 , 09:33 PM
Subscriber
Thank you dave!

Ahhhh! That's maybe the trick! I will give them a try and come back with news.

Thank you so much.

# 6 21-01-2013 , 10:11 PM
Subscriber
Hi dave,

I tried again, but I still have a black object even if I send only the textures from Mudbox.

# 7 22-01-2013 , 08:41 AM
The thin red line
Check your normals are facing the correct way and bring in some lighting................dave

Edit:Could you post a picture of your texture

Last edited by daverave; 22-01-2013 at 08:46 AM.
# 8 22-01-2013 , 09:13 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
# 9 31-01-2013 , 02:12 PM
Subscriber
Mastone,

I had a look to M.A.R.I.. Not really easy to use for a green horn like one I am.