Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 27-03-2005 , 01:38 AM

subdiv, poly problem BIG PROBLEM

I am working on a model and i just converted it into subiv. However in between swtiching back and forth between subdiv and polys my model got seriously messed up. It seems like my subdiv and my polys are stuck together in the same model. Every single vertex has two points and verticies will not merge. when i try to convert the model to subdivs it wont completely convert any more either. So in poly mode the model still has more than one vertex where its only supposed to be one.

These vertexes were not ther before i converted to polys. I am lost. Please help. Tell me my model is not lost!

Here are some pics
user added image

user added image

user added image

Last edited by Briko03; 27-03-2005 at 01:56 AM.
# 2 27-03-2005 , 03:44 AM
1) When u convert from NURBS to Poly, use "Control Points"

this lets poly vertices to be where NURBS CV's are. (the hulls in NURBS will be the Poly edges aye?)

2) When converting Poly to Sub-D, turn "Keep original" OFF.

so there is no copy of it.

3) When converting back form Sub-D to Poly, set method to "Vertices".

that lets the Vertices of Poly to be exactly the way it was before.

----------
i think what you did was,

change it to Sub-D, with "keep original on".. then changed to Poly not using "Vertices"...

thus, having insane mush of poly vertices.
--------

i hope this helps

# 3 27-03-2005 , 05:27 AM
yes it helps a little...at this point i have the last image with two spare faces not connected that i cant get rid of. Any suggestions. I have the dog in the middle and then two the two faces one on each side. i tried copying the middle dog and putting it in new project but had no luck.

# 4 27-03-2005 , 05:33 AM
Subscriber
Can you upload or send me your scene file. Like to see if I can find the problem, but it's hard to do without having the model in front of me.

Also, as you had three dups, take this as a lesson learned. The duplicate feature uses whatever the most recent settings were, it does not automatically revert. So you may have created more copies than you thought because of previous duplicate options. This is one I learned the hard way. I've since put the dupilcate options on my custom shelf, and use that instead of CTRL + D. so that I know what my dup settings are each time.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

Last edited by mhcannon; 27-03-2005 at 03:43 PM.
# 5 27-03-2005 , 06:49 AM
Subscriber
its because u have 2 shape nodes in 1 transform node. opend the hypergraph and delete one of the poly or subivToPoly shape nodes.

# 6 27-03-2005 , 03:44 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by vladimirjp
its because u have 2 shape nodes in 1 transform node. opend the hypergraph and delete one of the poly or subivToPoly shape nodes.

heheh, or that ^ Cool, good to know, thanks vladimirjp.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 7 27-03-2005 , 11:40 PM
how do i do that?

# 8 27-03-2005 , 11:42 PM
when modeling i didnt duplicate it. It didnt happen until i was converting from poly to subdiv. The somehow that happend and iw as able to pull out three figures. Now i cant completely delete them