Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 24-06-2012 , 02:32 PM

Maya to max, obj exporting...

For the last 2 weeks, i had to work with different 3D artists workng in max. I am modeling in maya and exporting my obj files. When max users import the obj files, the obj file appears all hardened no matter what i apply on the meshes in maya. Is there a way to import maya tweaked meshes with their maya information in to max?

# 2 24-06-2012 , 04:30 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
you'll find this happens from max to maya as well, as far as I know there no 'cure' for this. The guys using max will have to soften the normals.

If you want to try something else, try FBX format, though you may get scale issues

Jay

# 3 24-06-2012 , 05:55 PM
As you said the same think happens when i get obj from max. The next thing i will try is fbx i think. I am using ref characters modelled in max. I solved the scale issue , hope it doesnt get messed up in fbx.

# 4 24-06-2012 , 06:21 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
otherwise you'll just have to soften the normals once in maya or max

# 5 09-04-2013 , 01:09 AM
Incase somebody needs this information, when you set your fbx settings in maya 2013 and import your file into max 2009, after you add turbosmooth you will find your edges hardened. Before adding turbosmooth i apply mesh smooth, decrease the iterations to zero and convert to editable poly. After this, if you apply turbosmooth you edges will be fine.