Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 09-10-2004 , 01:45 AM
Subscriber

Render Corruption

Hi Guys,

I hope I can give you enough information to help me. I'm a definite newbie. I have been modeling an all polygon skull. Everything was going well until this morning. I had rendered several high resolution Mental Ray renders with Ray Tracing, and Final gather...no prolems. It was slow to render but I was very pleased with the final render: See the images on my website:

https://www.swallowdynamics.com
1. Good Mental Ray Render
2. Bad Mental Ray Render
3. Bad Maya Software Render

Next thing I know, I come home from work and try another render...without changing render globals or other settings as far as I know. The Mental Ray render came out corrupted. The Maya Software Renders are much better but I can see problems too. I have reset all defaults, optimized the scene, deleted history, tried to reduce settings in Global Renders....I don't know what to do. I am really going crazy trying to sort it out.

I am using Maya 6
P4 2.4 Ghz
1028 Mb RAM
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 8x AGP (current drivers)

Never had a problem for the last 2 weeks until today...I tried the render diagnostics. Sometimes it shows errors and sometimes not...inconsistent. The last said: RCF6 0.3 Warn 542002: angle between normal and geometry normal more than 90 degrees. It also says something like the selected rendered space is too small in the status/ script bar.

Any suggestions?

Black_BART_GA

# 2 09-10-2004 , 05:57 AM
Subscriber

Scratching my head...

It happens often I suppose, but I was tinkering with render globals, and preferences, and light / shading properties and in the midst fixed the problem. Only problem is I don't know how. If anyone checks out my posted URL in the original post and has any ideas of what went wrong, please let me know in case I do it again.

I really appreciate having a forum like this one....makes me feel not so helpless while trying to learn the basics.

Thanks Guys,

Black_Bart_GA

# 3 10-10-2004 , 03:03 AM
Subscriber

Figured it out.

Just in case any more newbies like my self run into the same problem, I figured it out. The same corruption happended today. I discovered that the light in my scene was checked for dmap shadows....my render globals were set up for raytrace shadows. I changed my light to ray trace shadows and problem solved. I guess you learn these things through trial and error.