Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-07-2006 , 04:29 AM

Polygons to Subdivisions

Hi all, Im modeling an automobile with Maya 7.0 and have run into a problem. When I try to convert polygons to subdivisions I encounter an error. The script editor suggests that I use the Cleanup command because of non-manifold surfaces. I have tried that and the surface fo the car becomes a series of wierd circular subdivisions where the subdivisions are not atached. I also tried merging all or the vertices. Any suggestions how to effectively convert from polygons to subDs while maintaining the seams between the subdivisions.

# 2 03-07-2006 , 12:28 PM
Senior Software Developer
Sounds to me you have non Planer geometry.

This can be caused by bad face extrusions or making a mistake on duplications. I would run Polygon->Cleanup [Options] ensure you have the non-manifold option checked and apply it. This will check the model and show you any issues.

Also you could check the normals to ensure they are all OK too. I had a lot of these issues when I first started with Maya and it was always things like having 2 faces occupying the same space etc...

Hope this helps.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)