Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 07-08-2007 , 04:32 PM

mouse navigation mapping

Since I am on a mac laptop and only have one mouse key, I want to reassign the Track tool hot key to being: Control + Alt + LMB

However, mouse buttons are not available as options from the key drop down menu in the hotkey editor, and I only get errors when I try typing "LMB" or "Left_Mouse_Button"

I figure there has to be a way of assigning keystrokes with mouse buttons, since the other navigation commands use different mouse buttons as well.

Basically my question is, is it possible to create hotkeys that use the mouse button(s) and if so, how do you do it.

And before I get lectured on simply using an external mouse, I'm on the move a lot, and so having a keystroke would be much less of a hassle than trying to use a mouse in the subway or bus.

Also, I'd appreciate it if we could keep 'get a windows so you have more buttons' comments to a minimum as well. I doubt that the mac version of maya has different keystroke capabilities as the windows version.

Not like it makes much of a difference, but I'm using Maya 8.5 on a Mac book pro running Mac OS 10.4.10

# 2 07-08-2007 , 04:38 PM
Subscriber
uder system requirement for maya on Mac it says u need a 3 button mouse simple as.
no way arround it

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 3 07-08-2007 , 04:43 PM

Originally posted by pbman
uder system requirement for maya on Mac it says u need a 3 button mouse simple as.
no way arround it

I wouldn't say 'no way around it'. simply assigning a normal key other than the mouse buttons works perfectly well.

let's just assume I never mentioned the fact that I only have one mouse button, and let's assume I want to add the mouse to any other arbitrary command. if it's not possible, then how do the default commands do it?

it's always claimed that maya is so easy to adapt to every person's workflow and needs. if it's so 'adaptable' something as simple as a mouse hot key should be a piece of cake...

# 4 07-08-2007 , 06:58 PM
Jr.Who

# 5 07-08-2007 , 07:01 PM
Subscriber
i hate that damn thing. get a "real" one.

mighty mouse is a pain in the you know what.

my 50cent

# 6 07-08-2007 , 07:13 PM
I have mouse for ... hmm 2 $ : ))))

# 7 07-08-2007 , 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Here’s your solution:

https://www.apple.com/mightymouse/

I have one, and I love it.
user added image

did you read my original post??

"And before I get lectured on simply using an external mouse, I'm on the move a lot, and so having a keystroke would be much less of a hassle than trying to use a mouse in the subway or bus."

in case that was not clear enough, let me say it again:
I travel, and have no room for an external mouse most of the time.

# 8 08-08-2007 , 03:51 AM
In that case then use alt left mouse key, alt right mouse key, alt both keys to invoke middle mouse button, assuming that the mac has 2 mouse buttons in the built in mouse and can be configured???

Oh and its a right bugger to use (or it is on my laptop), so I would reccommend getting a 3 button mouse regardless, i'm on the emove quite a lot and find the space

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 08-08-2007 , 07:02 AM
Jr.Who
Mac laptops are only single click.

# 10 08-08-2007 , 07:23 AM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Mac laptops are only single click.

Shakes head, what a fopar by me, and by the designers...

# 11 08-08-2007 , 07:26 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
Shakes head, what a fopar by me, and by the designers...

My dad’s a graphic designer (that’s why I grew up with Macs), and he hates using double click mouses.

# 12 08-08-2007 , 07:44 AM
I know graphic designers that dont like the single button mouse, as they cant access shortcuts.

I'm on about buttons, when I used one I didnt like it took away a lot of short cuts, I can see why they did it, makes it so you dont have to bother with right and left set ups, also makes a computer simpler to use for a beginner, although taking out quite a bit of functionality. Plus if they provide support for a multi button mouse in the OS (think its does) why not porvide it on the macbooks??

Really seems a fopar as its cutting useability, especially in a laptop, if you didnt want it to have 2 buttons then set both of them to be left click function??

Last edited by gster123; 08-08-2007 at 07:47 AM.
# 13 08-08-2007 , 08:28 AM
Jr.Who
Well, he does right click (by holding the ctrl button and left clicking), but he just hates double click mouses. I guess that he hates them so much, because he’s so used to single click mouses.

I, myself, couldn’t live without my mighty mouse. Sure, sometimes the scroll ball will get some dirt in it, but nothing too much to cry about.