Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 06-02-2010 , 06:19 AM

32 bit or 64 bit?

My new computer has windows 7 64bit version on it. I have 8GB of memory installed. My question is can I use maya 2008 32 bit software on my computer or does it have to be the 64 bit version Or does it really matter?

Gary

# 2 06-02-2010 , 09:57 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
you can install both but wit tht much ram i would advice 64bit much more stable

# 3 06-02-2010 , 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
You can run 32 bit programs on a 64bit OS just fine but why have resources you won't use, go with the 64bit version.

- Genny
# 4 06-02-2010 , 01:28 PM
Yes. What they said.

I am in the middle of upgrading from vista business x64 to windows 7 x64. I thought the ting was hung. I started the upgrade yesterday as I was watching Caprica about 9pm est. The thing was in the last stage (transferring files, settings and programs just showing "..." and no progress so I just went to bed.

I just crawled out of bed at 8am and it is still going!!! I was about to just reset and reload my backup of vista but noticed that now at least it is showing 62% progress so I guess I will just let it keep going.

lol leave it to microsoft to have a 11+ hour upgrade process! I am sure I will probably have to blow it all away and do a clean install as I have NEVER been successful at a n upgrade install. But I thought I would give it a try to save having to reinstall a ton of apps and their updates.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 06-02-2010 , 01:28 PM
Yes. What they said.

I am in the middle of upgrading from vista business x64 to windows 7 x64. I thought the thing was hung. I started the upgrade yesterday as I was watching Caprica about 9pm est. The thing was in the last stage (transferring files, settings and programs just showing "..." and no progress at 3am so I just went to bed.

I just crawled out of bed at 8am and it is still going!!! I was about to just reset and reload my backup of vista but noticed that now at least it is showing 62% progress so I guess I will just let it keep going.

lol leave it to microsoft to have a 11+ hour upgrade process! I am sure I will probably have to blow it all away and do a clean install as I have NEVER been successful at a n upgrade install. But I thought I would give it a try to save having to reinstall a ton of apps and their updates.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 6 07-02-2010 , 01:45 AM
wow! sorry about the double post. Not sure how I managed that one.

My main system has been upgrading from vista business x64 to windows 7 x64 for just shy of 24 hours straight now!

This upgrade process is whacked! What the hell is it doing? Trying to compute a solution to correct the world economy! 24 hours! I could have wiped my drive clean, done a clean OS install, installed all the patches and drivers, installed all my 100 GB of software, installed all the patches and updates, re-installed plugins, recreated all my data by now and have been using the machine instead of watching it sit there (and not give a god damn clue to what it's been doing for a full f'ing day!).

God I really hate Microsoft! I found part of the problem and ironically it was from a .dll associated with an Apple product! The iphone application - which I REMOVED along with itunes BEFORE starting the install - leaves time bombs in the god damn registry and causes the entire upgrade to become buluxed at 62% completion and the only solution is to stop the install, spend 4 hours rolling back to vista, adding one god damn system variable instructing the windows 7 installer to ignore the iphsvc.dll and then restarting the entire 24 hour upgrade installation process!

And you want to know what the really horrific thing is? I can almost assure you that in the end I will end up having to wipe the god damn drive clean and do a complete clean install. I just know it!

A POX upon Microsoft AND Apple I say! A POX upon you!

Last edited by ctbram; 07-02-2010 at 01:49 AM.
# 7 10-02-2010 , 11:45 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
24hours upgrading wow i thought it usually takes btw 40min to 1hour to upgrade that really sucks

installed all my 100 GB of software, installed all the patches and updates

dude what the hell are you installing unless games i cant think of any software that would amount to that much hard disk space

Last edited by murambi; 10-02-2010 at 11:48 AM.
# 8 10-02-2010 , 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by murambi
...dude what the hell are you installing unless games i cant think of any software that would amount to that much hard disk space

The only other things I can think of are libraries of sound and textures and whatnot.

So far one of the most annoying Win 7 features is that auto maximize crap. I drag windows around all the time, I don't need my Attribute Editor to take up my entire 2nd monitor, thanks. And by default, in the taskbar it lumps together the docs you have open by type. I had to turn that stuff off. I can't bash Win 7 up too much, it's been a better experience than Vista so far.

- Genny
# 9 10-02-2010 , 06:17 PM
EduSciVis-er
What do you mean auto maximize? You mean snapping it to maximize when you hit the top of the window? If half screen works for you, just cycle through the half-screen mode with windows key + left/right. Windows + up/down toggles max, regular, minimized. 100GB of software isn't all that much if you have a bunch of autodesk software plus adobe master collection plus a few games or something. Okay, it's still a lot.

# 10 11-02-2010 , 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by stwert
What do you mean auto maximize? You mean snapping it to maximize when you hit the top of the window? If half screen works for you, just cycle through the half-screen mode with windows key + left/right. Windows + up/down toggles max, regular, minimized. 100GB of software isn't all that much if you have a bunch of autodesk software plus adobe master collection plus a few games or something. Okay, it's still a lot.

Yes. Lol see that's where it loses me, doing that turns it into a whole trauma inducing experience when one hand is on the keyboard and the other is on the mouse and all I want to do is move some windows around and move on. It just doesn't suit me that's all.

- Genny