Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 31 24-03-2006 , 06:54 AM
Subscriber
I think you're right about personal preference. Perhaps the wonky room is a little busy, if you're only using it for 30 seconds it might detract from your character animation. For a more serious tone you're right to go for the third one.

Hope your assesment goes ok,

Mat.

# 32 24-03-2006 , 12:21 PM
Velusion

I created the skeleton using a tutorial as guidance, obviously adjusting it to suit my needs. The tutorial is in the Learning Maya 6 Character Rigging and Animation book. The eyes are constrained to two locators that are grouped together. this enables each eye to move independantly as well as together. The eyes are also grouped together and this, along with the constraint group, is parented to the skull joint. This way the eyes always move with the head. The extra joint above the back root is used as the base of splineIK and always controls of rotation in the pelvis and allows the back to twist without affecting the legs. The extra joints protruding from the hips were created to move the pouches on the character's belt. On the subject of ribs, I usually don't bother but in this case it provided a nice definition and allowed me to keep the structure of the characters chest and abdomen.

Happymat

Thanks man, my only problem is that I don't think i have enough work to satisfy my lecturers at the moment, oh well, i'll see if i can blag it through. The final assessment is at the end of may so this is only an interim.

Also, i took a break from modelling to create a fun little pose. Possibly an idea for an advertising poster with the background being replaced with the diamond case in the museum.

user added image

Large version can be found here

# 33 24-03-2006 , 12:45 PM
Subscriber
very very nice work !!

<a href="https://www.angelfire.com/blog/simon_hitchins/3d_models"> My Website </a>
# 34 24-03-2006 , 04:28 PM
Thanks Rostoons, I'll keep what you said in mind user added image Keep up the good work, Their really cool, love the character you designed.

May the force be with you

MSN: markjborg@hotmail.com

My Official Portfolio

Mark Julian Borg
# 35 24-03-2006 , 08:04 PM
I'm an update machine today.

Here goes, modelled some curtains, the TV and the Lamp, also applied some basic shaders to give the scene some definition

user added image

and during a break decided to make a colour version of the pose (textures not finalised)

user added image

Again large image here

# 36 25-03-2006 , 07:52 AM
Subscriber
Nicely done rostoons,

I really like the way he is lit, a definate possibility for advertising with text on the left.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 37 25-03-2006 , 06:33 PM
The Modelling is now finished, the planes on the walls are to be posters of diamonds and newspaper articles about previous robberies. the planes on the table are going to be blueprints for the tools and the museum case.

user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 38 25-03-2006 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber
Hello Rostoons,

it looks like you've been busy! Very nice,

Mat.

# 39 26-03-2006 , 08:26 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Rostoons

Very good so far. I tend to do a bit of rigging (understatement) so I thought I'd ask...

I take it this dude has facial expressions, how are you controlling them? I may be able to give you some advice and add a very simple yet more user friendly control for the rig

Jay

# 40 27-03-2006 , 08:32 AM
Thanks Jay, I actually used your tutorial to help make the jacket (though mine was a bit rushed).

On the side of facial expressions, I set about 35 deformers as blendshape targets and applied these to a deformation buffer before applying them to the character's head. I have some pics but am not working on my computer at the moment (waiting in uni for my interim assessment at 12).

The jaw rotate options, the tongue options and the controls of the eyelids were also set in the blendshape window by adding attributes to curves and using the set driven key. Therefore all of my characters expressions can be created using the sliders in the blendshape window.

Unfortunately as time is pressing on I probably do not have the time to change my controls, but I am eager to hear your methods as they may prove incredibly useful in future rigs. Cheers user added image

# 41 27-03-2006 , 10:14 AM
Dude

You wont have to change thing. This will save you from opening the Blendshape window and also selecting the head itself, its a clean method Ive introduced here at work, and thankfully everyone loves it as we are constantly looking at facial expressions...

Heres what I have been doing. This will depend on your set up of course.

Create a control icon ie: an arrow or something and place it just above the head pointing down. Freeze transformations. then with the new icon selected go to modify> add attribute, name the attribute 'blends' or something you can recognise.Then open the connection editor.

Selecting the head of your model hit reload left in the Connection editor window, then select the new control above the head and reload right. From the left window find Envelope and select, then in the right hand window select the name of the attribute for the new control icon, those are now linked or should be. Parent the new icon to the same joint as the eyes etc.

Now you should be able to select the new icon and in the channel box you'll see blends shapes or similar, open it up and your shapes should be all in there, nice n easy saves clutter with the B/S editor being open too

Hope it helps you and anyone else reading, hopefully I can do a tute for it soon.

Jay

# 42 27-03-2006 , 02:54 PM
Thanks for the awesome tip Jay, that will be saving me a lot of space on my puny 17" monitor. Officially added to the contributors list in the credits (if i ever make any user added image)

# 43 27-03-2006 , 07:03 PM
No Probs

As I said, hope it helps...

Jay:bandit:

# 44 30-03-2006 , 09:49 PM
Subscriber
man this looks really good< I love the style you got going. user added image

# 45 30-03-2006 , 10:03 PM

Originally posted by Jay
Dude

You wont have to change thing. This will save you from opening the Blendshape window and also selecting the head itself, its a clean method Ive introduced here at work, and thankfully everyone loves it as we are constantly looking at facial expressions...

Heres what I have been doing. This will depend on your set up of course.

Create a control icon ie: an arrow or something and place it just above the head pointing down. Freeze transformations. then with the new icon selected go to modify> add attribute, name the attribute 'blends' or something you can recognise.Then open the connection editor.

Selecting the head of your model hit reload left in the Connection editor window, then select the new control above the head and reload right. From the left window find Envelope and select, then in the right hand window select the name of the attribute for the new control icon, those are now linked or should be. Parent the new icon to the same joint as the eyes etc.

Now you should be able to select the new icon and in the channel box you'll see blends shapes or similar, open it up and your shapes should be all in there, nice n easy saves clutter with the B/S editor being open too

Hope it helps you and anyone else reading, hopefully I can do a tute for it soon.

Jay

Awesome tip Jay,

Cheers for that!