Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 19-06-2007 , 10:32 AM
Head of 3d Admedia

linkin softwares

hi guys im relatively new to maya(been using it for 6months)now the problem is this after modelling i have noticed that everybody uses photoshop for textures and painting. i know how to use zbrush so do i still have to learn photoshop

# 2 19-06-2007 , 10:40 AM
Not realy, but it's a definate advantage, on thing is that if you export from Zbrush to maya you have to flip the texture (as Z has a different coordiante system (think that the y axis is down rarther than up if I remember rightly) You can do it in maya if you needet too.

Also think of if you texture something in Z brush and when its in maya it dosent really look how you want, using PS you can just simply alter the colour balance etc to suit.

Also Photoshops a lot easier when texturing ciritan object.

all in all I would learn is as it's got lots of fundamental things that you will probably need.

On a side note you dont have to use Photoshop, any other image manipulating tool will do the job, I would reccommend GIMP, its free and does all the same things that Photoshop does, and possibly more.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 19-06-2007 , 10:46 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
thanks for the quick reply could you give me a link where i can download this and its tutorials

# 4 19-06-2007 , 10:50 AM

# 5 19-06-2007 , 10:57 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
cool frm the way you answer questions you seem like a master at this so how long does it usually take you to texture lets say a human model?

# 6 19-06-2007 , 12:16 PM
haha, I wish!

To texture a model, depends really on how realisitc I want, i'm not great at texturing, especially organic's I mainly rely on photo ref and use Z brush's projection master to texture using hi res photo's. which all in all would take a while to do (well) cant really put a time on it to be honest.

I'm currently doing the challence on this site (in the challenge fourm, dive in and have a look, shameless plug there!) Where I'll be texturing that model when I get onto it, which will probably take a while as i'll be painting all the textures in Zbrush with maybe a bit of photoshop.

# 7 20-06-2007 , 04:29 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
tried downloading its not working i think the link is dead any other sites?