Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 31-03-2006 , 04:17 PM

Jet Composite

I had this post in the Finished work part of the site but after some comments I am going to modify it so I figured I would just put it in the WIP section.

Here are some stills from the composite, I will post the animation soon.

Any comments welcome. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 31-03-2006 , 08:40 PM

# 3 31-03-2006 , 08:46 PM
Another pic

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 01-04-2006 , 04:21 AM
Technical Director
Its a bit hard to see the planes due to the motion blur. Otherwise well done!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 01-04-2006 , 01:52 PM
Nice. But in my opinion the explosions are too small. user added image

# 6 01-04-2006 , 02:44 PM
Subscriber
Coming along nicely, but I do have a few suggestions! :-)

1) I can actually see one of the jets "pop" off the screen. Maybe you can fade it out or have it climb out of frame. I tend to notice that sort of thing every so often in various movies/TV productions...gaak! :-)

2) I agree that the explosions are too small. WAY too small! Also, one of the explosions (the second one) happens WAY too late in the action, it; could probably be retimed. If that were a real attack, each explosion would hgave taken up a considerable portion of the screen. One thing you might play with is a "camera shake" to simulate the effect of the explosion from the POV of whoever is watching. Try it!

3) I DO like the motion blur, but it could probably be tweaked here and there; just the same, it's looking really nice!

Keep up the good work! :-)

Regards,

Lt. Jim
NYC

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 7 01-04-2006 , 11:34 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

I agree with the explosions being too small, thanks for pointing that out, I will fix that.

About the jet popping off screen... I don't know why but for some reason when I rendered the animation of the jets in maya mental ray it did that, and some of the parts of the jets would disappear and then reappear. So I am not sure what the deal is with that. Once I can figure out the problem I will fix it.

Camera shake is a good call, I will try and mess with it.

About the motion blur, I like the way it is. If you watch the Mission impossible 3 trailer and watch in slow motion the part where a car explodes behind him and he flys into the side of a car....the jet flying over dropping the bomb is absolutley blurred so you cant really even tell what it is. It would look a little fake I think if it had no motion blur.

I am totally open to comments, it helps the process along, so thanks to all of you guys. Keep them comin!

# 8 28-04-2006 , 02:06 AM

Link Dead

Hey jdig your link for the animation is dead... anywhere else we can see it?... Thanks!

I will win an Oscar someday!
# 9 28-04-2006 , 12:38 PM
Sorry about that. I will try to post it on another server sometime in the near future. I am just super busy, so when I get some time I will.