Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 02-08-2003 , 04:25 PM
Subscriber

August Competition

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN CHANGED, READ BELOW. IT IS NO LONGER THE FIRST TOPIC "A perfect body"

Ok, the first idea for this months challenge was not too good. Mike reminded me that most people like to end up with a finished model at the end, not a half done one. Therefore the new topic is!

Mad Scientist's Labratory

Model the enviroment of a mad scientist's lab! From all the bottles to his creations that hes working on. You can take your imagination to extremes on this. Do things like finding out what the mad scientist's profession is and model instruments and machines that relate to it user added image. I would personally go for more of a robotic scientists, builds machines user added image.

Ok, now if you join either state that you are joining as a Noobie, or Normal entry and write like the following:

"August Challenge - Name - Noobie"
or
"August Challenge - Name - Normal"

Rules:
1. Texturing is allowed.
2. Wire frame shots must be presented at random times.
3. Various shots of the progress, throughout the whole challenge, at different angles.
4. Concept Drawing or Picture, to be presented (where possible).
5. Submit your stills at 640x480, for loading purposes.
6. Final render can be at any size you wish, and all artowork in the render has to of been made by yourself.
7. Finish by last day of month - Exact time not specified, just make sure its finished by this date.
8. Post your final render at whatever size within the "Final render - Noobie" or "Final render - Normal" threads, depending if you joined in the noob category or Normal category.
8. Everything in your final render has to be modelled by you during the challenge.
9. Have lots of fun and learn lots!

If you have any questions post them here, or PM me if its more private.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com

Last edited by M; 27-08-2003 at 11:38 PM.
# 2 02-08-2003 , 04:58 PM
awesome topic man!!!!!
im in...i hope no one minds that ill be using PLE

- TwEeK
# 3 02-08-2003 , 05:12 PM
hahahahahah go to google, type "Mad Scientist's Labratory" and click on the "I feel lucky" button

hahahaha

# 4 02-08-2003 , 06:26 PM
ahh very good topic M. I might give it a shot.

________

- Jacob
# 5 03-08-2003 , 09:21 AM
Kevin
yep a much better topic!

# 6 03-08-2003 , 03:21 PM
Subscriber
I love the topic. Hopefully I will have time to join user added image

when I think of a mad scientists lab I think of the illustration that artist Bernie wrightson did for the book Frankenstein.

I WILL not be taking this approach if I do join..way to much stuff for me to model! so if anyone wants some insperation here are some pics.

(Bernie is a sweetheart of a guy, I was lucky enough to sit near him at a comic convention. later that evening we played a game of billiards an enjoyed some beer! I was in awe the whole timeuser added image)

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 03-08-2003 , 03:22 PM
Subscriber
and...

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 03-08-2003 , 04:21 PM
Subscriber
Nice pics! Do join in Howard it would inspire us (well me anyway), plus I'd love to see what you would make! Come in, the waters lovely!

# 9 04-08-2003 , 12:44 PM
Subscriber
woot. Seems like whinging got us somewhere. Let's see... / runs to lab... will participate now. Sounds fun. Hopefully, I'll get something done. user added image

# 10 04-08-2003 , 03:30 PM
just wondering, can you work with someone on this forum as a team? me and my friend are kinda noobs hehe. but if not its cool. just wondering though.

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 11 04-08-2003 , 04:04 PM
Everything you submit must be youre own work. There is a place to setup a team challenge if you so wish, but theres no "official" team challenge to enter, which is unfortunate.

# 12 04-08-2003 , 08:55 PM
Subscriber
user added image I like the sound of this so much i think i'll enter on top of the summer tournament, although the tournament will take priority (don't think i spelt that right) over this untill i get knocked out (end of round one) user added image

# 13 05-08-2003 , 06:58 AM

im joining as a nobie

yeas again i wanna join challenge.

when is starting round01?

CU all user added image :bgreen:

https://lab.palindrom.ch
https://www.achermann.cc
: daijobe desu :
# 14 05-08-2003 , 10:12 AM
There are no rounds in this challenge. It runs for a month, if you still wish to enter this month just read the rules at the top and make yourself a thread.

# 15 09-08-2003 , 02:48 PM
Subscriber
Hello. I have a question. I just thought of this. Since it's an environment, is the criteria what you model or the final renders that you're creating - I was just wondering about that. For digital stills, I tend to work a little differently, only creating what is need to get the right shot/angle/composition to create the mood; in this instance the mad scientist's lab. As is, I think my vision for the lab is pretty clear in my head, I just don't know how it'll be judged. Some pointers would be good. I'd be happy to post wires and differing shots but the illusion of the 3d would be broken. Is that allowed?