Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 25-08-2008 , 10:44 PM
Subscriber

where does it say games should be low poly?

i made the mistake of not keeping track of where i find information

if anyone knows a place where it says that models in games should be low poly can you let me know?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 2 25-08-2008 , 10:54 PM
If you get a game modeling book it probably says it in there, its pretty simple why they are though

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 25-08-2008 , 10:57 PM
Subscriber
yeah, a lot of things i can explain what are and things are so, but i don't have any sources to say where i got the knowledge :headbang:

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 26-08-2008 , 02:06 AM
It's one of those things that all humans inherently know.

Like the color of your intestines. You're born knowing that.

Naw, I'm kidding, we're all Tabula Rasa from the start.

I suppose you may have just heard it somewhere? All I know is that you can't have a 50k polycount on some model if you plan to run a game without crashing it every 2.5 seconds.

~I have no idea what I'm doing~
# 5 26-08-2008 , 03:27 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
The reason a game model can't be 50k polys (yet) is because in a game everything has to be rendered in real time.
You would have to have some uber sweet Game engine to do it... (which we will have some time soon-ish)
Could you imagine if a modern day game engine had to render 50k poly meshes... user added image Not to mention if that were for only one character... then image the hurt the engine would be feeling trying to render 4 or 5 characters to the screen....

^^^^ ______flat line______
Not to mention the environment..

So, It's all because the game engine has to render all the scene objects to the screen as close to 'exactly as it happens' that in can.

At least this is what I know... There could be other dark sinister reasons...

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 6 26-08-2008 , 05:21 AM
Meh.

I bet today's technology can do this...

What you'll need is... I dunno... 16 of those new "two GPUs on a card" Radeons (I can never remember the model names - too many, too fast) in a box.

And some arcane graphics libary to replace DirectX so you can use it on a more parallel system- I hear SGI has some left over from the good old days of Onyx 3000 and there you go, you've got yourself a box that can handle 50,000+ poly characters.

And don't forget the custom motherboard with multiple PCIe links, you don't want 16 graphics cards, 32 GPUs sharing a puny x16 link... And having eight or more CPUs to feed the hungry GPUs with data would be a good idea too... and lots of RAM, like 512 GB - remember its only 20 or so sticks of RAM with MetaRAM!

Of course, people will then complain that its noisy, uses too much power, is to big (becuase everyone knows that the Macbook Air is the future, right?), too expensive and so on...

What have I been drinking? user added image ?

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 7 26-08-2008 , 07:19 AM
The Maya Mountain
If you want your game to make money... you don't cater to the super-bleeding-edge pc's.

# 8 26-08-2008 , 09:49 PM
The way I see it is that if people are going to spend $5000+ on cooling their box so it can be overclocked to squeeze an extra five frames from a game, they are more than willing pay ten times that for something that can render realistic scenes (price/perf)...

I mean, thats why Ferrari is in business right? :p

# 9 26-08-2008 , 09:52 PM

Originally posted by The Architect
The way I see it is that if people are going to spend $5000+ on cooling their box so it can be overclocked to squeeze an extra five frames from a game, they are more than willing pay ten times that for something that can render realistic scenes (price/perf)...

I mean, thats why Ferrari is in business right? :p

Ferrari stays in business as they are timeless, computer's aint when there out of date they get chucked in the bin and a new ones bought, I doubt theres many people who buy a Ferrari and when a new model comes out scrap it and get the new one.

# 10 26-08-2008 , 10:19 PM
I've personally seen an Apple II go for $1,500. Computers are timeless, depending on the logo stuck on the front. Fruity ones are currently worth lots. :p

# 11 26-08-2008 , 11:17 PM
Thats pretty sad, its probably Steve Jobs who bought it, for historical reasons yes, but for actual useage?? Please, at least you can get a 1960's classic car, give it a blast and still have a grin on your face and get form A to B in the process. Would you fire up a Commodore 16 to now write a report and print it in dot matrix???

Find me that person, ive got an acient laptop in the attic that's going to go to the tip when I get round to cleaning up, maybe they would have completly lost their senses and will pay £1000 for it?

Anywho back to what Mike said and your response, not everyone on the road drives a Ferrari, or a veyron, hence thers no point in making a game like that.

# 12 26-08-2008 , 11:26 PM
Well, no idea who it was, it was at an auction at one of those computer fairs. Anyways, you're right, there isn't any point in making such a game, but its cool and I like to dream about huge giant computers simulating a world that is hard to distinguish from the real one... user added image

# 13 27-08-2008 , 02:14 AM
Acid44

Originally posted by The Architect
Anyways, you're right, there isn't any point in making such a game, but its cool and I like to dream about huge giant computers simulating a world that is hard to distinguish from the real one... user added image

i think you just spoke on behalf of every gamer in the world :p that's be awseome

# 14 27-08-2008 , 02:24 AM
Lifetime Member
we don't want large computers we want a Holodeck..end of

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 15 27-08-2008 , 02:31 AM

Originally posted by jsprogg
we don't want large computers we want a Holodeck..end of

Correction: a large holodeck... not much point having a 2 by 2 right? :p