Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 25-12-2012 , 06:49 PM

Issues with duplicate special

Hey guys! currently I am modeling a character and I started out by modeling half of the character and using a subdiv proxy while I edited it.

Anyway I am finished now and I wanted to duplicate special and merge the vertices but I get a problem. The copy of the model seems to be offset, it looks like I have rotated it or something.

I made sure all my vertices were on the same plane and I did a freeze transformation. I had also made sure that all my rotation attributes were set to 0. I just can't seem to get it to work. Also when I subdiv proxy it is perfectly aligned with the original.

Does anyone have any suggestions? user added image

Last edited by Nesphito; 25-12-2012 at 06:53 PM.
# 2 25-12-2012 , 07:28 PM
A couple things to check...

1. make sure your move tool is set to world mode
2. make sure to uncheck "retain spacing" for the move tool
3. you may have to delete history and beware of groups.

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 25-12-2012 , 07:40 PM
Hey thanks for the reply! so I tried everything you said and it didn't work.

Edit: I feel really dumb lol. I just noticed that in my duplicate special options I had all the rotation settings to 1.

Last edited by Nesphito; 25-12-2012 at 08:08 PM.
# 4 25-12-2012 , 09:11 PM
could you possibly post some screen grabs of your issue?

i would also suggest reseting the settings for the duplicate special command.

are you duplicating across the -1 in your given scale?

# 5 26-12-2012 , 12:54 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
If you have an offset issue, its clearly down to the fact that the model's own center is not aligned with the center axis of worldspace in order to do a duplicate in the -1. You need to make sure the verts are at zero on the world axis and also make sure that you dont have any transforms, or strange group nodes in the scene that can cause these types of issues too.

I've attached a diagram...Its really easy

Whay are you using a subdiv proxy?? You should just use a poly and jump back and forth between smooth preview. The trouble with Sd's (as nice as they are to use) is that they tend to build up blind data nodes (a type of history for SubDs) the only way to check for them is via the hypergraph with the object selected. Then just graph the object, you should then get a ton of nodes saying blind data attached to the original object. The best way to get rid of them is to manually delete them. If however the original object disappears but you still get a poly node in the hypergraph, simply re-apply the lambert shader. Then try to duplicate the object again. It should work.

Blind data nodes (if this is the case) cant be removed by freeze transforms or deleting history - unfortunately..I hope this helps

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 26-12-2012 , 01:00 PM
The tips I gave are to ensure that all the vert will snap to the yz plane going through the origin. If you are not in world mode and have retain component spacing unchecked you will not be gauranteed to have all the verts aligned to the origin.

See Jay's post. If the verts are not aligned to the origin there will be a space between the mirrored halves.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 7 26-12-2012 , 01:03 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Just edited my post..concerning subds...it could be this one issue that nobody is really aware of these days since Sds are rarely used

Edit: I just re-read his last post...he has an edit on the end of it - FACE PALM!!

Jay