Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 241 20-11-2011 , 05:16 PM
Noober than noob
Awesome, I like the helicopters and Hummer the most. How did you make that effect where they appear to have parts fading away?

# 242 20-11-2011 , 05:21 PM
Cheers SilverFeather,

I simply keyframed the transparency on the material so objects faded out. It kind of works but could use more work if I wanted it to look good. Was just put together on the fly for a quick presentation so it was really rushed.

# 243 20-11-2011 , 05:40 PM
Noober than noob

Cheers SilverFeather,

I simply keyframed the transparency on the material so objects faded out. It kind of works but could use more work if I wanted it to look good. Was just put together on the fly for a quick presentation so it was really rushed.

Oh, similar to animating color change? Cool. Thanks for the info.

# 244 25-01-2012 , 05:17 PM
been working on various stuff and had a holiday but here is some progress. I have also started on an abrams and will post progress soon.

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 245 31-01-2012 , 12:13 PM
Fantastic thread. I'm having to learn Maya and your models look as good as any I've seen done in other apps, so I can stop complaining about Maya now and just get to learning it. I've figured you have some kind of Defense contract job that's keeping you busy. I would imagine your skills and portfolio could get you work just about anywhere if you feel the need to move on.

# 246 31-01-2012 , 01:01 PM
cheers djwaterman,

Maya is an awesome app as are all 3d apps. I do still have problems with it from time to time but when I started keeping my files to a more professional standard (no history, clean hierarchy, objects names, shaders textures etc) I find I rarely have any issues. I am currently working a military contract and would love to branch into other areas but it is incredibly difficult to get paid to do this for a living due to the extremely high level of work that people are now creating. I consider myself extremely lucky to be able to get paid to do this but I am going to return to the UK this summer to look into other ventures. I am currently working with a small team as we are trying to get all of my work running in cryengine 3. I have also begun creating a level and am shocked as to how simple the workflow is what with having some 3d knowledge. I am hoping to have all of the vehicles, marine, para, pilot and ct characters working in the engine when I leave my current contract at the end of May. I will try to get a render up of the Abrams later which is pretty much complete and I am currently just finishing up the uv's ready for texturing.

user added image

user added image

# 247 31-01-2012 , 03:42 PM
Abrams, need to model the gun attachment still along with the sight at the end of the gun. Hope to begin texturing this very soon though.

user added image

user added image

# 248 31-01-2012 , 06:13 PM
The thin red line
Nice tank Leon.............dave

# 249 23-02-2012 , 02:50 PM
Finally an update on the tank. Been real busy as of late with trying to get all of this working and running in cry engine and hope to have something awesome to share in about a months time.

In the mean time the Abrams so far

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 250 23-02-2012 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber
the textures and renders look great.

what size / how many texture maps have you used on the tank?

# 251 23-02-2012 , 03:57 PM
Thank for the kind words Ben
Is running off 3 8k textures, specular, normal and diffuse

# 252 23-02-2012 , 05:39 PM
Great community
That tank looks great :o ; especially textures for me ...

May the good times and treasures of the present become the golden memories of tomorrow.
# 253 23-02-2012 , 08:40 PM
Sweet work. The one thing that jumps out at me is how far the antenna are pulled down. I was in the military and the antenna came down alot farther. They had too in order to clear some of the low level power lines. I'm not sure if all abrams have the same standard though for putting down the antenna. Perhaps some are setup like the way you have it.

edit: did a quick google search and found this which is how I remember them being. but again, maybe this setup is not always the case.

https://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl...AiP2lDg&zoom=1

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 23-02-2012 at 08:43 PM.
# 254 24-02-2012 , 01:46 AM
Lifetime Member
wow leon the textures are NUTS!!!! love it man...good work!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 255 24-02-2012 , 05:25 AM
Cheers for the kind words guys, much appreciated.

Thanks for the link Perfecto and agree 100%, is an easy fix though which is my fave kind. This thread will likely go dead for the next 3 weeks but I hope to have something epic to share in about a months time.

Will be back soon!