Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 20-07-2004 , 07:48 PM

The history/development of Maya

Hullo all-

I somehow feel like getting help from you guys is cheating...but i don't think it is? :ermm:

I'm supposed to write a paper on 'related research' to my summer internship- I plan on doing some research into Maya (and possibly Alias?) and it's research/development/usage/etc.
Off the top of your head(s), know of any quick references for that kind of Maya info? Books or sites or random facts, although i may run into trouble quoting a message board user added image .
Also, actually, i want to look into other competitors for Maya and discuss elements that are different....so if anything comes to mind!

thanks!
-katie

-katie

"a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - rwe

Last edited by Kaydray; 20-07-2004 at 08:06 PM.
# 2 20-07-2004 , 08:05 PM
The Maya Mountain

# 3 21-07-2004 , 06:21 PM
hmm, history of maya development would be kinda quirky to find. how about writing a history on 3d computer animation? theres a book called "Art of 3d computer animation and imaging".. gives you a history of whats been happening the past 30 years, even tells you which program was developed first, who first developed this feature and all that good stuff.

# 4 21-07-2004 , 08:03 PM
not a bad idea...i'll look into.

thanks for the suggestions to both of ya!
-katie

-katie

"a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - rwe
# 5 30-07-2004 , 03:13 AM
Check "Maya 5 Fundamentals". The introduction chapter has a pretty good overview of the develoment and evolution of Maya, Alias and Wavefront.

Good luck on your paper.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 6 19-08-2004 , 09:59 PM
Technical Director
Well I know back in the day, alias bought wave front. ergo it was called Alias | Wavefront.

I wonder why they dropped the wavefront part. hmmm.... :ermm:

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 7 19-08-2004 , 10:05 PM
Subscriber
actually alias never bought wavefront. SGI bought both and merged them together.

# 8 20-08-2004 , 02:31 PM
Technical Director
oh. my bad. :o

Imagination is more important than knowledge.