Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 07-02-2005 , 06:37 PM
Subscriber

guy wearing body gear

well here he is look...
i posted this guy on here way back to see what people thought of him and as you can see he hasnt really gone that much further, had no time what so ever to do work on him... not fair!
the texturing is extreamly basic as im really not that good at it so any pointers would be great, and dont worry, the arms arnt going to stay that colour and the hat has yet to change loads.

any way any C&C would be amazing
so come on people... reply to this post

willman

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 07-02-2005 , 08:15 PM
Subscriber
Nice job, sorry but I'm only a newb so I can't give help. But just to say, nice job on the helmet, it reminds me of the master cheif

# 3 07-02-2005 , 08:25 PM
Subscriber
The feet look a little on the small side to be carrying all that armor. It's a good start though.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 4 08-02-2005 , 01:17 AM
cough halflife cough halo cough.

just kidding. seriously tho, you should add some curves to his body. he looks really flat. maybe some hips, but not too exaggerated. looks pretty cool tho nice work.

# 5 08-02-2005 , 04:19 PM
Subscriber
lol, ok i took a few ideas from them... but think i will change the hat to stop it looking too much like them. yeah i know what you mean, i really want to change the body round a bit but its going to be hard since i put a smooth on it and now its really heavly...
would be working on it now, but have REALLY LONG days at college, a little harsh on the whole, 9 till 8. a total of 11 hours in one day soooo long... so tired when i get home never get round to doing work on it. but half term next week, at last should get some work done on it then!?! hopefully!!!

any way any help or tips would be great
cheers
willman

# 6 08-02-2005 , 06:17 PM
Subscriber
to simplify restructuring, use lattice deformers to give it more shape/definition. You can use this for the major reshaping, then delete history from the model to remove the lattice. Then you can fine-tune the model futher.

# 7 08-02-2005 , 08:12 PM
Subscriber
ah of course, never thought of using them, cheers man will post a update of what it looks like as soon as i get time to do any work to it...
any one see any other major problems with the model? all the help, helps me!?! honest

and anyone knows any other tips or pointers that i could find useful
any way cheers for the help

willman

# 8 08-02-2005 , 09:06 PM
ok well now that you mention it....
the legs look like cylinders. look at your legs and model the legs loosely around those (or some other reference)

the feet are really pointy and symmetrical. feet curve around.

he also looks a bit top heavy now that i look more closely, lots of upper body strength, wimpy legs.

# 9 08-02-2005 , 09:10 PM

Originally posted by alienscience
Nice job, sorry but I'm only a newb so I can't give help. But just to say, nice job on the helmet, it reminds me of the master cheif

im probably a bigger n00b than you but i still give tons of advice. you dont need to have a huge amount of technical knowledge to be able to point out some things that look odd. i also find that those who know less sometimes make better critics because they cannot appreciate the work that goes into something and look at it only for what it is, so you can always give advice. of course those with more experience will be able to give better advice but everyone's input is valued.

# 10 13-02-2005 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber
well, finally had a little time to do some work on it, tried to give him a bit of a pose, but this is my very first try at rigging, didnt relise how hard it is!!
any way what do you guys think so far???

any C&C would be amazing!!!!!!!!!

willman

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by willman; 13-02-2005 at 09:32 PM.
# 11 13-02-2005 , 09:46 PM
looks very good. can we get some more light so we can see the left side of his left leg? i still think the legs need some more horizontal definition as well as the torso. the torso also should stick out a little around the pecs (nipples..tee hee :p )
and go in around the six pack, unless you want him to be a fat space soldier whatever.

# 12 14-02-2005 , 11:26 AM
Subscriber
not sure if this pic is any better lighting wise... but i was just playing and this is what i came up with, think its starting to look ok, buts thats just me... i am going to try and change the shape of the body to stop him from looking quite as fat

but any ways tell us what you think of it???
willman

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 14-02-2005 , 05:03 PM
Subscriber
I think you need to add a couple more lights to your scene. It looks as though you're using a singel directional light. recommend you add a medium brightness fill light to soften the shadows (pointing roughly the opposite direction of your main directional light), and low-brightness (.2-.3_ rim light from behind the character. Check the three point lighting tutorial in the archives section of SM.