Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 15-08-2006 , 03:56 AM
Subscriber

transfer uv's problems

i need a help with uv's.
I made a character. I will have 2 uv map sets. One for normal and one for texture map. I have to do so because for normal and light map uv's cannot overlap, while for texture uv's can overlap (so i can texture just one half of it).

Now, how could I transfer uv' from right side of character model to the left side? I can't (I think so) use transfer tool, becuse it is a one single object and I don't want to break it into two. So how would I to that (I think you cou say I want to mirror uv's from right to left side)?

Tnx!

Last edited by Sil-Valeor; 15-08-2006 at 03:59 AM.
# 2 15-08-2006 , 04:10 AM
yeah - use mirror UVs. I am at work right now so I can't check, but it should be with the rest of the edit UV actions. Just make sure you open up the option box and choose the right settings.

# 3 15-08-2006 , 04:16 AM
Subscriber
tnx! But where can I find mirror uv tool?

# 4 15-08-2006 , 04:34 AM
taking a quick look in the maya help file searching for 'mirror uv' led me to the 'flip UV' command. it mirrors uvs or a uv selection... for more information, look in your help file.

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 15-08-2006 , 04:42 AM
Subscriber

Re: transfer uv's problems

Originally posted by Sil-Valeor
becuse it is a one single object and I don't want to break it into two. So how would I to that (I think you cou say I want to mirror uv's from right to left side)?

Tnx!

the only way to do that without breaking the model in 2,

would be to first duplicate the model,
the take the duplicate, break that into 2 delete the side without the UV,
keep the side with the UVs, then mirror duplicate that half,

then flip the UVsof the mirror duplicate in the poly uv tools set.
then merge the 2 halfs, sew the border uv edges,

then transfer the uv coordinates onto the original mesh.
it should work. unless maya acts funny about vertex ordering. but i doubt it will in this case. .