Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 01-09-2004 , 06:42 AM

Cartoon Dog tutorial - modeling question

Hey,
I've been following along the cartoon dog tutorial and everything is going fine until I take a look at my perspective view and see that the other side of my model does not look like the other side. Whereas the the guy doing the tutorial, his model is perfectly symmetrical. Is there something I missed? Is there something I should have turned on so that all changes I make on one side are reflected on the other side?

This is the only thing preventing me from finishing up the tutorial. Any help is greatly appreciated!

# 2 01-09-2004 , 07:23 PM
i found that as well i then just went and tried to even it out as much as possible and it looks ok one of the main parts which looked awful was the jaw i deleted it and remade it. going from tutorial 3 to 4 i hit a problem i dont know how to change the whole dog from nurb to poly could someone please help me?

# 3 01-09-2004 , 07:27 PM
Subscriber
For the first poste:

just select all the faces on one side of the model and delete them. Then select the 'good' side and duplicate them with a translation of -1 in the X. It should be fine.

# 4 01-09-2004 , 07:28 PM
and for the second post?

# 5 01-09-2004 , 07:43 PM
Subscriber
Use convert NURB to Poly? Should work...

If not, make sure that you only have the NURB selected an give us the error message. Without it, we cant help much

# 6 01-09-2004 , 08:16 PM
it says Error: nurb to polygons tesselation failed open script editor for more details. could i possibly send this to someone to see if they can fix it?

Attached Files
File Type: mb 2.mb (96.5 KB, 284 views)
# 7 01-09-2004 , 08:51 PM
Worked first try for me. Make sure your settings for nurbs to polygons have control points clicked.

Attached Files
File Type: mb 2kurt.mb (136.8 KB, 329 views)

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 8 01-09-2004 , 10:12 PM
Thanks for the reply! When I select the faces, I select them via Surface Patches and hit delete and nothing gets deleted? Is there a specific way to do this?

# 9 01-09-2004 , 10:26 PM
If you are still using nurbs you cant just delete the surface patches. You will have to detach isoparms to say cut the model in half. Right click select the middle Isoparm thats right in the middle. Then go edit nurbs> detach surface this should cut you geo in half.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 10 01-09-2004 , 10:39 PM
very awesome! That worked beautifully. Now to attach the two halves together! Thanks again!

For anyone reading this, to mirror what you want after detaching the surfaces. You use a -1 in scale, depending on what axis you want the object to be mirrored. Then you select both halves and select attach surfaces to make them one again. user added image

Last edited by GhostFaced; 02-09-2004 at 01:31 PM.