Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 14-05-2014 , 12:10 PM
Subscriber

UV mapping question

Hi i was just wondering is there a particular to layout UV?, because i have been using daz studio and have been studying the UV's and on a character the head is on one UV, and the torso on another and the limbs on another UV. So i just wondered in maya if you can do that same thing or there is a set rule you have to follow for UV mapping layout. Thanx in advance.

# 2 14-05-2014 , 01:13 PM
The thin red line
That is a big question it would be easer to watch some tutorial to see how it is done, there are some good ones on this site by Jason Edwards ...................dave

# 3 15-05-2014 , 03:37 AM
Subscriber
Thanx for reply but i have been watching alot of tutorials but there is nothing about a specific way of laying out UVs.

# 4 15-05-2014 , 09:50 PM
Lifetime Member
I am not sure you will find a tutorial on set ways to lay out UV's Since every model or project has different requirements.

The general guidelines are the same though, you should consider things like amount of time on and distance from Camera for example ( is your piece a hero object/character or scene fill).

If the model is going to be close to camera you need to dedicate more UV space to the texture.Things like final output resolution and therefore texture resolution also make a difference.

It is really about using as much of the 0-1 UV space as possible while trying to make the things that need the most resolution have the most space and placing items in areas that make sense to you so as to make texturing easier...see this thread for more help

https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28268

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 5 15-05-2014 , 11:27 PM
Subscriber
thanx for your answer so maybe the reason why daz studio lays them out that way because they are high poly high resolution characters then so what if ive got this building that may have metal,concrete and wood materials would it be better to lay out the metal ones on the UV and concrete on another and wood on another keeping in mind there is alot of metal,concrete and wood.

# 6 16-05-2014 , 01:25 AM
Lifetime Member
That is one solution yes , if the texture res is high enough you could in theory have metal concrete and wood on the same UV as is sometimes the case for Game assets and the UV'S for the models are on top of each other. It really is project specific and what works best for your situation.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 7 16-05-2014 , 11:07 PM
Subscriber
thanx for your reply i will try different things to see what is best for my model