Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 13-08-2006 , 12:02 AM
Subscriber

Rendering Spinning Propellers Tip?

Hello,
I saw the DVD on how to create the Spitfire model and noticed the image showed the propeller's spinning (motion blur and all). Can anyone recommend or describe the steps/settings one would use (regular Maya renderer or Mental Ray) to get a nice blur like that image shows? I am having a helluva time getting the blades to look good in a render? Any suggestions? Does that DVD go over that? If so maybe I will buy it just for that! :-)

# 2 13-08-2006 , 02:22 AM
Subscriber
Two ways I would do it.

Animate the Prop with render using Motion Blur.
Create a texture to look like a Prop spinning with Motion Blur.

# 3 13-08-2006 , 06:08 AM
the problem you will have is that as the prop is spinning it will look weird and you wont get a curved prop you will get a straight line because of how the prop is blurred through the frame. What I would do (and have done on projects before) is to duplicate the propa few times and offset it's rotation so that each one starts a little bit behind the next. That way you will get proper motion blur and it will be curved rather than straight.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 14-08-2006 , 07:16 AM
Subscriber
Hmmm. Thanks for the replies. I have noticed that my blurs were almost rectangular and not a smooth circular shape...Okay. I will duplicate the prop, offset it and spin both and use 3d motion blur and see what I get this weekend.
I will post my results here.

Thanks for the comments.

# 5 14-08-2006 , 09:54 AM
Subscriber
Have a look at This Thread. It looks like a good method.

Cheers
Paul