Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 11-06-2007 , 09:09 PM
The Maya Mountain

Summer Challenge!

Pirates vs Ninjas!

Yeah it's summer time and it's time to do something fun! And what's more fun than pirates fighting ninjas? The goal of this challenge is to design and create a pirate and/or a ninja! Get creative! Maybe your pirate is inspired by the Pirates of the Caribbean movies or maybe you'll design a ninja that would fit in the PotC fantasy world? Or forget the movies and do something original!

The guidelines:

1) This is a modeling challenge, but presentation is important. If you can texture and pose your character for the final presentation, you'll definitely have a much more appealing final entry!

2) The deadline is September 1st!

3) All work must be done by the artist submitting. You may submit one entry. If you want to make a pirate fighting a ninja though, that can be your entry. But that's the only exception to the multiple entry rule.

4) There's no limit as to what software you can use to create your models and textures.

5) A finals thread will be created toward the end of the challenge. Finals should be posted there, with screens/renders of the final result.

If you have any questions, ask them here. Keep a look out for any addendums or additions to the guidelines as issues are brought up and answered.

For now, signed copies of my books are what I've got for prizes, but if I can think of something cool, I'll definitely offer it up before the end!

# 2 11-06-2007 , 09:41 PM
19 year Veteran
Wow, first post! A pirate/ ninja comp? I really don't know what to think about this one. Can we do a dead pirate, you know a skeleton pirate?

# 3 11-06-2007 , 09:44 PM
The Maya Mountain
Sure, sounds like fun to me user added image

# 4 11-06-2007 , 11:19 PM
Subscriber
Sound like fun.
Full body or bust?

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 5 11-06-2007 , 11:31 PM
Are you allowed to do surrounding enviroment or just the pirate/ninja? user added image

And just out of curiosity, what does PotC mean?

# 6 12-06-2007 , 12:34 AM
Subscriber
Potc = Pirates of the Caribbean

# 7 12-06-2007 , 03:30 AM
Jr.Who
Good luck guys, I'm going to have to sit out on this one! I'm currently modeling a character, then I'm going to texture him (First character that I've textured!), and then I'm going to take some tutorials on rigging and binding. Also, between next week and August 11th I'm going to be busy. user added image

I hope I can enter the next challenge!
user added image

# 8 12-06-2007 , 06:36 AM
Subscriber
sounds cool
i will try to have a go at this 1 but will have to wait until 27th june till i start (exams r over and the booze will have warn off by then) doesnt leave m much time but i will try

good luck to all entered

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 9 12-06-2007 , 06:51 AM
The Maya Mountain
full body or bust is fine, either one.

You don't have to do an environment. Presentation is key though!

# 10 12-06-2007 , 06:55 AM
LOL man be sure I'm going for the ninja!
haahhahahaha
This is martial arts!

# 11 12-06-2007 , 11:26 AM
19 year Veteran
Well I don't know. Pirates seem to be "The Thing" right know. I'm hoping the pirates dominate this challenge.

# 12 12-06-2007 , 11:43 AM
Oh exciting, I might participate in this challange if I get a nice idea. user added image

"Well I don't know. Pirates seem to be "The Thing" right know. I'm hoping the pirates dominate this challenge."

Yeah with the new Pirates of the Caribbean realesed I guess we will see alot of them pirates. user added image

# 13 12-06-2007 , 11:50 AM
19 year Veteran
I reccomend you enter Weyu, it will be good practice for you.

# 14 12-06-2007 , 11:54 AM
Yarr! (Finally I can use this comment without it feeling misplaced.) user added image

# 15 12-06-2007 , 04:26 PM
Any other challenge I would have probably passed it up but this just sounds sooooo exciting, it's hard to say no. I could definitely use practice in modeling a character. I've only tried once and it was nothing to write home about. Not sure what I'll go with yet but I'm kinda leaning toward the ninja.

I'll set aside most of my other projects in order to spend alot of time on this one, I know I'll need it.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!