Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 01-04-2007 , 04:35 PM
Subscriber

Nissan 350z

hiya there , i recently started modeling of a nissan 350z
as im still new with modeling side of things n watching alot of VTs from simply maya i figured hey why not.
i started work on this nissan using roberts ferrari tutorial as a bit of refrence.
i dont think its going to bad but it could be better , id like to know how to push it a bit further to get it looking smoother etc, ive tried to follow the contors of the car as much as possible but it constily goes out of shape which sucks lol.
any critisimium and or tips will not go unnoticed
thanks a bunch guys sicky

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Sicky; 01-04-2007 at 05:05 PM.
# 2 01-04-2007 , 08:41 PM
Subscriber
for those intrested lol now added the side its looking really
jagged atm when i get the full shape im gonna try and smooth it over a emphasis on the try if anyone has any tips on how to do this that would be mint thanks

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 02-04-2007 , 02:19 AM
Subscriber

# 4 02-04-2007 , 11:28 AM
Subscriber
yes you image plane looks squeezed. Im also doing a 350z and its the link new car. Anways, yes you ref looks like its not the right size because that thing looks squeezed. if you want, ill post my BPs

Overall, you getting the basic of modeling right form the look of ya pics but when posting and looking for help, you best bet is to post a wireframe of the car. by doing so, we can give u tips on where to place polies and how to get ur smoothest result. Keep at it though, i would like to see u finish this car all the way through. good luck mate

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.

Last edited by 99GsTurbo; 02-04-2007 at 11:30 AM.
# 5 02-04-2007 , 03:15 PM
Subscriber
ahh right yehah i c where your going i been using a diffrent picture for like for like
Refrence

i obviously havent taken the perpestive into consideration wich is my bad lol

i find it rather difficult to follow the contors after a bit of time with wierd angles and that ill post a wirefram of its current state and c what u guys think i think ill try a diffrent approach to it rather than flowing it off each part ill do it bit by bit if that makes sense

id also like your BPs man if thats ccool with you

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Sicky; 02-04-2007 at 03:20 PM.
# 6 03-04-2007 , 10:45 AM
Subscriber
right ok ive turned this into a right mess lol
i think im going to try a diffrent appraoch to it i dont want to contiuue with it if its looking this bad lol im gonna restart it in the next day or 2 when i get some time off work
and ill make sure not to try and rush it , think ill start by making sure proportions are right lol

# 7 03-04-2007 , 05:02 PM
Subscriber
I think you're putting in way too many edges. From the start, try blocking it out much simpler to ger the basic shape, then add or replace edges later with more accurate contours. I'm working on a truck at the moment (my first 'car' too) so I can tell you I did the same thing to start with... went edge-heavy and started to lose control before I even got to the back end.

Have fun!

# 8 03-04-2007 , 05:06 PM
Subscriber
yeah

i just started a new version if u will , gonna try a diffrent approach when it comes to laying it all out , already keepin it as simple as possible to later makes it alot easy , little bits by bits , modeling and moving seems alot easier and more managable

# 9 03-04-2007 , 06:37 PM
Subscriber
ok so i started again lol its goin alot smoother and looks alot smoother still abit jagged but im pleased with it so far

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 03-04-2007 , 11:09 PM
Subscriber
its comming a long but imma recomment you to a nice tut to get started by my friend P.Y.R.O. Personally, his mesh on the start could use a bit of work but its such a great way for NoObs to get started in understanding proper techniques.

With This tut, its only the fender/hood but its a good start for models with a ncie poly count
https://www.sektor-41.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405

This is a whole 350z tut but the poly placement it too low poly for myself and looking at the mesh, u can see more errors and bumps which isnt good but again these are for Noobs to get a great understand of how to model a car and they are both 350z tuts
https://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/maya/350z/

With both sites u have to register but these should point u in the right direction. Good luck mate

PS the way i leard to model is to go to sites like smcars..net or cg-cars.com. when ur on smcars.net so a search for the car ur doing and look at their mesh. study how they get their flow trust me, it works. i look at all the great modelers poly placements all the time so i mean eevn its its a car that u dont like, check out the thread and see if its modeled nice cause then u can see how they modeled through there mesh and it will help out 100x

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 11 04-04-2007 , 06:26 AM
Subscriber
thanks man ill check it out ,the edges confuse me a bit on the nissan dnot know why i have trouble seeing while lines should go where,

i do appretitate your help by the way seeing what uve done with your nissan its a work of art dude u should be pleased with your self

Last edited by Sicky; 04-04-2007 at 06:31 AM.
# 12 04-04-2007 , 03:17 PM
Subscriber
Forgive me for sounding harsh here... but how you see that mesh going 'smoother' than the last time is beyond me. You have more edges than last time?! The more polys you have, the more difficult it will be to shape your car because you have all these extra verts to move. Think about it.

I can see exactly whats happened here. You want your model to look 'smooth' because cars are smooth, right? So lets just chuck in loads of edges. Well I can look at your model, and I can see that a lot of edges are doing near-nothing... so really its a pointless excercise having them in the first place. EVERY POLY should be there for a good reason. If you finish this at all in this state i'll be very surprised. You're trying to much too soon.

If this were me, I'd take out over 50% of the edges for now, shape it properly with what I have and complete the base mesh so that all the edges flow (not smoothly, just tidily). Once thats done I'd start bevelling edges on curves (like arches and stuff) or adding loops / splits and manually editing them (or just smooth the whole thing of course)... basically then tarting it up so I could make it look pretty for renders and all the fun stuff.

Last edited by petrol; 04-04-2007 at 03:21 PM.
# 13 04-04-2007 , 05:46 PM
Subscriber
i c what ur saying i get to carried away :< im sorry

# 14 04-04-2007 , 06:09 PM
Subscriber
Dude don't be sorry! It's all a learning curve, and a long one at that. The unfortunate thing about making cool stuff is that it ain't as simple as some would make it seem, and quite often stuff looks crap until you get further along with your work.

Just keep at it man. I can tell you aren't rubbish at this, you're just trying way too hard to get everything spot on the first time around. Always remember its harder to reduce your polycount than it is to up the polycount. There is nothing to say that a car built *intially* from 1000 triangles can't be turned into something with more curves than a weight watchers club.

# 15 04-04-2007 , 06:14 PM
Subscriber
lol im gonna try one of the tuts that turbo sugested
and take my time instead of rushing it cause i think thats one of my problems some angles confuse me tho i find gettin a 3 side into a 4 side is a pain in the arse ive never been good at geomatry lol nor spelling for that matter but ill keep at it