Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 22-07-2007 , 07:57 PM

How to combine my finished model?

Hello. I have just finished my model. It consists of multiple polys and a few nurbs. I set up a skeleton and did some basic arm and leg animation, but when I go to select the whole thing and try to move it as one object, it comes apart and doesnt move as one. I have tried selecting each piece in the outliner, I have tried to group it, but that still doesnt let the object stay together. I need to do some animation where this object looks like its walking. My pivot points for each object are different places as well, could this be the problem?

edit: the model no longer contains nurbs. I changed everything over to polys and it still isnt working... hmmmm

# 2 23-07-2007 , 02:17 AM
When u select all objects and move them all together, they will move in their own 'object space'. U can choose the 'world space' pressing 'w' and LMB. This does not work for scale and rotate because the 'w' is also s shortcut/hotkey for translate, so it will jump back in translate mode every time u change the orientation space.
Does anybody know how to change the orientation space for scale and rotate?
It's a shortcut/hotkey and therefor should be somewhere in the menus too. But I'm not able to find it.

Other solutions would be to group them and move the group. U could also use Mesh>Combine to make it a single object.
But for a robot-like character, you'd typically put them in hierarchy with the joints (parent the handmesh under the hand-joint, arm-mesh under the arm-joint,etc). For human-like characters, u'd 'bind' the joint-skeleton to the mesh.

Last edited by Eelco; 23-07-2007 at 02:21 AM.