Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 25-10-2008 , 05:56 AM

Computer Problem

Hi, it's me again...

I wasn't sure where to post this, because technical issues only had to do with maya...

I was just wondering if anyone here knew what the problem with my laptop was... It's not exactly new (it's actually kind of old) which leads me to believe it's a hardware problem.

Either way, recently it just stopped starting up. That is to say, whenever you start booting up, it will go past the screen where you can enter the BIOS, then it will do the windows loading thing (black background, moving green bar for loading) and then the screen will be black for about 5 seconds, then I will get a Blue Screen of Death..

It's a windows XP laptop, made by HP..

The Blue screen says:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

and then it says a bunch of stuff thats useless like boot in safe mode, and a bunch of other common fixes.

Then it gives technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE1AE0000, 0x00000000, 0x809013D1, 0x00000001)

So... thats that..

Some other info that might be useful:

The computer does not boot normally,
Does not boot in safe mode,
Does not boot in safe mode with command prompt,
Does not boot in safe mode with networking,
Does not boot with last known good configuration.

When the recovery CD is inserted (the recovery console one) I have the option to set up windows or use the recovery console.

Either one of these results in a BSoD. Also trying any of the above listed (safe mode, etc) also results in a BSoD.

So do you think the hardware is just shot? I am probably going to try reinstalling windows, but if the hardware is shot, then it won't work to reinstall windows either, I don't think.

-Bluethunder

# 2 25-10-2008 , 06:16 AM

Re: Computer Problem

Originally posted by Bluethunder

I'M HAVING NIGHTMARES FROM THIS ONE user added image user added image user added image
oops, caps lock on...

Might be a problem with the RAM. Try getting a Linux on CD and running some RAM diagnostics.

I was getting the same problem when I had a f***ed up stick.
I still have that one so my brother probably fixed it somehow...
If you're still having problems tell me and I'll ask him.
Hope it helps,
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 3 25-10-2008 , 12:34 PM
Well, we've never installed any new RAM, so it could be the RAM somehow got corrupted...

But I will try that.. Although there's really nothing important on that laptop, so I might just see if it's possible to restore it to factory condition, and then maybe run some linux ram diagnostics?

I'll get back to you if the restore works (or if it doesnt)

Thanks,
Bluethunder

# 4 25-10-2008 , 04:39 PM
19 year Veteran
Just my opinion, but it could be that your laptops hard drive may be bad.

# 5 25-10-2008 , 06:39 PM

looks more like a software problem than a RAM problem...

Try a Linux Live CD, preferably an easy one such as Ubuntu and see if that boots. If it doesn't, try another Linux distro, most I Live CDs I've tried are _extremely_ picky about the hardware they run on and some like to report non-existent errors as they boot, so don't let that scare you.

I vaguely remember Windows XP doing that to me a while ago. A reinstall fixed it.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 6 26-10-2008 , 08:18 AM
Well, I reinstalled XP on the laptop and it seems to work fine now...

Although.. I don't see how it could've been a software problem if the laptop wouldn't use the repair console which was on the CD.

Either way, I'll run some tests.. (RAM, HDD, etc..)

Anyone know any good programs that do that sort of thing? (and are free)

Thanks for your help

# 7 26-10-2008 , 10:46 AM
Subscriber
Try memtest86, it's free and you can find it here

Install it on a CD or even floppy disk and boot from it.

Some info about the error here

# 8 26-10-2008 , 06:08 PM
Its usually a software problem (corrupted filesystem, as suggested by Microsoft).

Hardware problems are extremely rare in my experience. I own memory sticks that are more than 20 years old and they are in perfect working condition.

Of course with today's "make it cheaper and faster now" goal, things may have changed.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 9 26-10-2008 , 07:33 PM
Subscriber