Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 14-04-2007 , 07:35 PM

Quick image plane question

I have my image planes set up, but how do I bring the grid in front of the image planes when I'm using the orthographic views?

# 2 14-04-2007 , 07:53 PM
You have to move your image plane behind the grid. ie. move along negative Z if viewing from front, negative Y if viewing from top, etc.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 14-04-2007 , 08:03 PM
But I can only do that by fixing it to the camera and moving the entire thing.

Does that matter?

Edit:

That doesn't work.

It's still in front of the grid when I'm in top/side/front view.

Last edited by GhosTz; 14-04-2007 at 08:11 PM.
# 4 14-04-2007 , 08:16 PM
Not sure what you mean about the camera (I'm new as well), but it should work.
I've got 8.5 so maybe it's different for your version.
If I create a plane and rotate it 90 on X, then attach an image to it, it's in front of the grid in the front view. So, if I go back into perspective view, grab the green handle and move it backwards along Y (negative), then when I go back into front view, the image is behind the grid.

Hope this helps.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 14-04-2007 , 08:18 PM
Ohhh you're talking about putting the actual image on a polygon plane?

I used the image plane option from View/Image plane.

# 6 14-04-2007 , 08:24 PM
I'm not familiar with the View/Image plane but I'll check it out.

I did the Dog tutorial and the Basic Human Modeling Tutorial in the freebie section and that's where I learned to attach images to a polygon plane.

I can tell you step by step how to do it if you want or you can just download the free tutorials I mentioned. Just let me know.

Exceed Expectations!
# 7 14-04-2007 , 08:28 PM
Well I normally use the polygon plane method too, but I got some video tutorial from a friend where they already have the scene set up with image planes.