Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 166 01-09-2011 , 07:07 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Thanks guys....have given you a thank you each too!!

J

# 167 01-09-2011 , 07:14 PM
Just as a small heads up/tip......

For the corrections on the mesh, I'm using a duplicate as a blendshape to adjust the mesh, this way if I overdo it or it looks wrong I can paint it out keep the bits I like and reduplicate the original with the new corrections and work on a fresh one.....

Also the inner eyes are using the misss fast skin shader. I have 3 maps on it, overall and diffuse color and a bump map

J

# 168 01-09-2011 , 07:37 PM
The thin red line
I dont think you have far to go looking great, only using fast skin for the inner eyes are you going to use for the ear?..............dave

# 169 01-09-2011 , 07:44 PM
Thanks Daverave

The skin is sss already, need to do the maps for the ear back scatter yet, just very careful of not having it look waxy or rubbery right now, but have a fair bit to do first, then will light last

cheers
J

# 170 02-09-2011 , 07:46 AM
Lifetime Member
NIce work mate!!! looking very nice indeed...TQ...have you adjusted the lobes..they are very 'full' and fleshy...other than that...wow.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 171 02-09-2011 , 07:59 AM
Hey Bullet cheers,

Lobe - wise, the ears are an issue at the moment overall. I havent been totally happy with them from the off, they just need 'thinning' a bit all over. Will be adding earings as well but will get the ears right first before hiding them with props

cheers dude, hope to update later

Jay

# 172 02-09-2011 , 09:24 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Hey Bullet cheers,

Lobe - wise, the ears are an issue at the moment overall. I havent been totally happy with them from the off, they just need 'thinning' a bit all over. Will be adding earings as well but will get the ears right first before hiding them with props

Jay

Yeah, the ears are the only thing that's odd at the mo, the rest is looking great! Really nice render.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 173 02-09-2011 , 09:56 AM
Thanks Mayaniac

The render itself is is very simple so far, nothing flash or complicated. Just one directional light, FG at 100, Anti-Aliasing at 1 over 2. Render time itself with everything in including lots of 4k maps is around 10minutes 42 secs at a res of 1920 x 1080

# 174 02-09-2011 , 10:34 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
eyes look great indeed, I do find the skin a bit pale though ( liked the render you posted earlier a lot more), very nice and subtle lip texturing as well

# 175 02-09-2011 , 05:33 PM
hey mastone, oh I was just assing around with the color in PS

J

# 176 03-09-2011 , 12:19 AM
Update, lashes are in. Tweaking ears and other places......

cheers for now

J

Attached Thumbnails
# 177 03-09-2011 , 05:50 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
To be honest I dont think i have ever seen someone spend so much time on an orgaic model in maya by now most people would have already jumped to zbrush/modo( me included)

# 178 03-09-2011 , 06:21 AM
I already have zbrushed it LOL. Skin textures were done there. Theres no real need on this to do any super deformation work, as it was all done in the base mesh.

Also I cant render overall SSS, or do the hair in Zbrush so.......lots to check and do

You'd be surprised how much work is done on a standard mesh in the industry, its not all about chucking into zbrush all the time. Where Ive worked Zbrush could almost be considered an afterthought- though we use it its not priority as such, more of a case of does it need it it? can we get away with it. Most of the time it really is about it looking right, textures have correct color space, shaders, comp and so on. Displacements are always a big concern anywhere you go. My last cg supervisor was always one for getting the detail on the mesh. Also for note, the characters for Avatar didnt have dis maps for their facial expression lines and creases....it was all in the mesh as the dis maps tended to 'swim'

cheers

J

# 179 03-09-2011 , 07:31 AM
The thin red line
Looking great Jay, could you show the ref shot you are using for the pose, I know there are some great zbrush models out there but do any make there way to production or animation. I do think you have a lot more control in maya,lightwave or modo and use zbrush or mudbox for finishing off the mesh to get a normal map...........dave

Edit:on a side note some women of that time used to have there back teeth removed to get that jaw look not saying Audrey did?

Last edited by daverave; 03-09-2011 at 08:53 AM.
# 180 03-09-2011 , 02:02 PM
Technical Director
Looking good Jay. One thing that jumps out at me is the lip texture. It doesn't seem to match up with the crease of the bottom of the bottom lip.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.