Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 26-07-2012 , 11:52 AM
Subscriber

Egg Challenge - Stevejp

Egg challenge I am in. My first one so don't eggxpect too much!
I am going to try and recreate the famous scene from the classic movie ' The Great EGGscape'. Being chased by toast soldiers and egg cups, our hero, astride his pizza cutter bike, jumps the line of whisks in a bid for freedom…

Here is a rough concept sketch of the idea and shot of the 'props' I've started to model. At the moment it may only be a rendered image but I could see it as a fun animation… if I have time I may give it a go.

Must crack on and make my toast army!

Oh one quick question… as the challenge is based on egg photography does the finished render have to be photo real or can it be more cartoon?

cheers
Steve

May the best egg win!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 26-07-2012 , 01:37 PM
Subscriber
The placement of the objects and the POV. are not right yet but you hopefully get the idea…

oh may have to do some sort of back growing too... user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 26-07-2012 , 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
The final output should lean towards realistic rather than cartoony. The magic of these egg photos is that they capture a cute/funny/strange and cartoony situation someone created with everyday objects. I don't have to be able to mistake it for a photograph(if you can do that, that's great!) but I should be able to believe it can happen.

- Genny
# 4 27-07-2012 , 01:39 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Genny I thought that was the case but just thought I would ask.

# 5 29-07-2012 , 01:22 PM
Subscriber
A test render of the toaster 'tank' that will be in the background. Just playing about with shaders trying to get a nice shiny chrome effect. May not need to add any more detail as it will be out of focus in the background. But I will add a couple of slices of toast!

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 31-07-2012 , 05:30 PM
That chrome looks very nice, and I like the contrast of the non-shiny material on the knobs. Nice render.

# 7 02-08-2012 , 10:49 AM
Subscriber
Thanks capnmich thought it might have been a bit too shiny but after looking at a few new toasters i think it will do for now. Playing with HDRI for the lighting so that will change it all again.

# 8 02-08-2012 , 12:55 PM
Subscriber
Few more background props and a test render. Lighting needs more work also the table cloth and toast - needs to be cut into soldiers.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 02-08-2012 , 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
What kind of lighting conditions are you planning on simulating?

- Genny
# 10 03-08-2012 , 04:52 AM
Subscriber
I've had all sorts of ideas about the lighting from ceiling down lights so they look like search lights on him to the fridge door being slightly open giving a band of light. But i think I will just go for a morning sun light, as in breakfast time. The background kinda dark with the egg heading towards the light and freedom... if that makes sense? Any thoughts and suggestions would be great as first time I've really used HDRI.

# 11 03-08-2012 , 05:08 AM
Lifetime Member
nice texturing looks good user added image

- Jake
# 12 03-08-2012 , 06:21 AM
Subscriber
Thanks joverall, still needs some work but i think its getting there.

# 13 03-08-2012 , 11:46 AM
Subscriber
Done loads of test renders with different lights but this is by far the closest to the look i am aiming for. I am using the HDRI image as the distant background 'kitchen'. DOF done in maya. Still got to chop up the toast into soldiers and thinking about using the knife and egg cup as a ramp for him to jump over the whisk fence.

oh and I dont know if the fridge should be a smegg! user added image

Is post work ok or does it need to be straight render from maya?

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 03-08-2012 , 01:13 PM
EduSciVis-er
That looks really fun. I like the expression. To me, the red is very dominant, it draws a lot of the focus in the image. Keep it up!

# 15 03-08-2012 , 07:22 PM
Lifetime Member
Nicely done I think you have just raised the bar on this challenge. I'm happy to have a few more weeks before the deadline.

- Jake