SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / render layers problem

Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge Please post in this section ONLY if your question doesn't fit in anywhere else on the forum, or if you're not sure which section it's relevant to. We also have Free streaming trial available.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

14-08-2006, 10:08 PM   #1
Falott

render layers problem
I read the docs + ragecgi´s + some other threads but couldn´t find any solution. as I´m new to rendering with layers I guess there´s something I am missing.

setup:

I have a complex geometry setup where many parts are covered by each other. I´m using the glare shader on my camera and need to render crystals and the lamp cage separately cause glare affects all parts of the scene at once. which results in - crystals are good, chrome is completely blown away.

so, when rendering without render layers I get the 1st image. when rendering with render layers to a PSD layered format the chrome cage is ok but the crystls are allmost invisible like in image 2.

in case anyone has any idea how to render them separated and compose them in the post, please let me know.
Attached Images

15-08-2006, 04:40 AM   #2
NeoStrider

i guess the question i first have is, what's wrong with image01?

and secondly i'm assuming you have your crystals on one render layer and your chrome cage on another render layer, correct? if that's the case why not just render out your crystals separately from your cage and just composite them together instead of trying to get one image in one go?
15-08-2006, 05:50 AM   #3
pbman
Subscriber

also wat settings r u using for the crystal layer as u can have it set to things like overlay an screen ect
mayb u need to change that
dunno though just a thought
15-08-2006, 08:08 AM   #4
Falott

guess I picked the wrong picture for showing the bad glare effect. here is what I mean. about compositing 2 different renderings - both geometries are in front and behind each other at the same time. that makes it tricky to composit in photoshop. so I thought about rendering them out with kind of depth. I tried some blend settings but they give me all the same result. but I guess I have to try it again until it´s working.
Attached Images

16-08-2006, 06:50 AM   #5
Dann

Try turning off "premultiply" in your render globals. Photoshop often has trouble with premultiplied renders.